Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How can a developer respond to factually incorrect app reviews ?

If I have an app where a user has posted factually incorrect information ( i.e app does not support WiFi when it does), what is the best method to respond to that in a public fashion ?

Is there a way for the develop to post information along side where the reviews appear ?

The app world vendor portal only allows limited options for reviews - it appears I can not provide a reason for why i would like to deny a review etc.

Developer

Re: How can a developer respond to factually incorrect app reviews ?

Think all we can do is either request denial of the review, or add an "Answers to Reviews" section at the end of the description.

Developer

"it appears I can not provide a reason for why i would like to deny a review etc."

You can. Once your request is submitted go into the edit option of the new request and add text to the history.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference but its possible to add comments.

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

This is overneeded but will never happen unless everyone votes in jira as what's posted here doesn't seem to matter, only the amount of votes a topic gets in the jira ticket system.

I created a ticket about being able to respond to reviews a month or so ago and it hasn't even been looked at because there's no votes...

So if you want to respond to reviews, vote and let BlackBerry know

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-2032

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

By the way (and I'm not trying to imply here who might be right or wrong between the developer and the reviewer who posted about not supporting wi-fi), as devs we should keep in mind that not all smartphone users are technology savvy, not all of them post reviews in their native language, and not all of them even necessarily have a good command of their own native language.  That is in no way meant to apologize for these folks, just to note the way it is.

Such reviews could well indicate nothing more than the user doesn't understand the app, or their phone, etc. and all you can do is deny the review (and/or reply to it if we ever get that capability).

But, in some cases, the user may have hit a corner case that an app doesn't check for and/or doesn't report back to the user in a meaningful way.  For example, what happens if network connectivity fades in an out - does the app's logic handle that gracefully?  Another example might be that the code has to handle checking the network connection type in different execution paths/different user scenarios, and the network connection type checking code is not factored into a single specialized function - what if there's a typo in one of the copy/paste/modified sections of code, but the developer's testing doesn't hit that execution path?  And, it may be that the user doesn't have the technical literacy or even the literacy literacy to express what happened in any more detail than "it doesn't work".

In such cases, denying a review, or replying to tell the reviewer they were wrong, could leave you with angry users.

Again, not trying to second-guess the developer here.  Just food for thought.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Until there is a way to contact users to assist them with their issue, *and* allow users to edit their comments, devs only have the ability to deny the review. You will get some upset users, but if they post something that is factually incorrect, you really have no choice.

I know BB has resource limitations and they seem to be moving away from the consumer market, but this has been such a long term issue, you think they could put 1 developer on it. Just look at how Google Play does things. Simple, quick, easy to use.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Three Mobile

Agree with jtegen on this one. I've never had the BB App World team deny a denial of a review, so it's a safe bet that the review will disappear within a short time of denial.