Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How lucrative are your app sales on App World?

What I see is that you cannot just write an app and think it will bring you riches without any effort afterwards. You have to enhance it, support it, market it to maintain revenue. Then you need to follow up with other apps when some might fall in revenue due to competition. If you're doing a couple of quick apps over a break, it may bring in some bucks for pizza and beer. If you want the bigger bucks, prepare to treat it as a full time job along with any other full time duties (school, work). For me, we're porting over to Android and then iOS. The hard work was done on PlayBook. Diverse on other platforms makes good business sense.
Developer
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I see what your saying. The follow up work after posting the apps is very important.

I'm on Android just now and have been porting to Playbook. My Android apps have had about 700 free downloads in 6 months but have stagnated recently. I don't know what to do about marketing them either (apart from spamming forums) :-/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My blog about app development, business and University life JGME.tk
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Facebook page, blog, CrackBerry thread are the cheap ways.
Developer
My Device: Z10

The best marketing is to get your app rated higher in App World. Figure out how apps are ranked, then it's matter of boosting your ranking.

Follow me on twitter @RileyGB - https://twitter.com/RileyGB
View my BB10 OpenSource projects - https://github.com/RileyGB/BlackBerry10-Samples
Developer
My Carrier: Fido

JaboJG wrote:

I see what your saying. The follow up work after posting the apps is very important.

I'm on Android just now and have been porting to Playbook. My Android apps have had about 700 free downloads in 6 months but have stagnated recently. I don't know what to do about marketing them either (apart from spamming forums) :-/

You should send email to appworld marketing to get your app featured.

RIM did say about 15% of devs earn $100K + per year.  Interesting part is that RIM didn't disclosure how many devs are left supporting BB.

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Don't quit your job, it's just a hobby that pays. Look at it like a game of roulette where you get to pick the numbers AND spin the wheel.

As for real numbers, Top Paid #25 is about 150 sales/day, #1 is at least 400/day, #100 is about 45/day, so you can figure from there when you see people with a bunch of apps in Top Paid.

If you are completely obnoxious to your customers then you will make money, if you're considerate you will make little. Look at some apps in top-25, they use obnoxious marketing in their free versions. Popping up nag screens and moving buttons around, light yellow vs. white so you can hardly even tell which is selected, oops I meant to click Exit but I clicked Buy.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Just to clarify silver20's comments: those may be the numbers for the phones, but for PlayBook sales (which have their own top 25 lists) the numbers are not that high.  I think at 100 sales/day you're up around #10 or so, whereas at the lower end of the top 100 even 10 sales a day is enough to get you there.

Definitely for all but the top 10-20, it's still pretty much hobby territory in PlayBook land.

We're not really doing this for the present returns though... if you just sit and wait, you won't be in a good position once the phones start selling...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

What's extraordinary to me is, if there are half a million PlayBooks out there and tens of millions of phones, what is everyone doing, just buy the device and write email and watch youtube?  Seems like there should be a lot more app sales.  for PlayBook, I'd have thought anything halfway decent would make the developers a quarter-million easily.

Highlighted
Developer

They also make calls and sens SMSs ;-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

The hope is that more phones and tablets start selling, but rumours about RIM needing a buyout/takeover were everywhere last year because they're losing too much money.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My blog about app development, business and University life JGME.tk