Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Developer for OS5, Using OS7 9220
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

How to send a message to users

I recently recieved a message from the developers of one of the applications i'm using. It said something like "heres informing you about an awesome new app" etc. 

I was curious about how i got that message, and about how do i go about sending such a message to users who have downloaded my theme? Basically, how to communicate with my users? Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How to send a message to users

If you use the dynamic license model, the App World server will send your license server a request at purchase time, possibly including the user's email. At least, that's how it's supposed to work, though I haven't heard lately whether that ever started working for the PlayBook. It's how they do it for BBOS though...

If you do implement something like this, make sure you provide a one-click way of unsubscribing permanently in any messages you send the user, or you'll get some of them *really* annoyed, as I get whenever anyone does this and won't take me off their list easily.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: Developer for OS5, Using OS7 9220
My Carrier: Vodafone

Nope, the app i got a message from didn't have a dynamic license or anything. it was a free app.
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

There is no direct way to communicate to users since you really do not know who they are. You could:
1) setup a blog
2) setup some XML on a server that the app checks on a regular basis. The XML could contain messages with dates.
3) setup push notification
Developer

[ Edited ]

CyberSky, "free" and "dynamic license" are not mutually exclusive. There's nothing stopping a free app from using any of the license models available, so what I said is still valid.

(As it turns out, free apps in fact don't have a license model selection so my whole theory was wrong.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:
CyberSky, "free" and "dynamic license" are not mutually exclusive. There's nothing stopping a free app from using any of the license models available, so what I said is still valid.

@Peter Free Apps can't use any form of licensing.

@Cybersky, as suggested by jtgen, push notifications are the way to go.

Developer

adwiv, oh, i hadn't realized that... thanks.

So... I have no idea what happened in the first place then. :-(