Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Huh? Ringtones...

I have/had several human voice ringtone apps in App World, and I just got a short e-mail from RIM saying that my apps have been pulled from the store because now they sell ringtones too. Basically, if I want to continue selling my ringtones on App World, I have to contact some company called spinton.es and go through them. I've been developing apps for BB before App World existed, and I was among the first to have apps on App World. I've continued releasing new products for BlackBerry throughout the decline. So this just feels like a slap in the face from RIM.

Anyone else selling ringtones get blind sided by this? I just don't know what to say except I don't feel like being a BB developer right now.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Huh? Ringtones...

There was a thread on this a week or so ago. You would think they would grand-father that policy. So if you have a great app, and then RIM wants to offer a competitive product, be ware.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

I was probably the first one got axed.  this was about a month or so ago when RIM started denying ringtone apps. Even alert sounds apps are being denied.  I do not like their policy.  Basically what RIM is saying is that we are now doing ringtones and you can not compete with us.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Do they deny apps that are in Ringtones category only? If you move the app to another category does it make any difference?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

QuiteSimple wrote:

Do they deny apps that are in Ringtones category only? If you move the app to another category does it make any difference?

No it doesn't matter anymore.  As long as you say it has ringtones they will deny you.

I just got four more apps denied because they have ringtones and one app doesn't even have ringtones.  It just sets the the ringtones!!

I'm not happy at all about this.

Developer
My Device: Red Z10, 32GB PlayBook, Numerous Android/WP8/FirefoxOS/Other devices
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Agreed, I had two apps pulled from App World for this policy.

I'm a 2L law student, I might have to do some research on uncompetitive business practices over the summer. 

Spinton.es is owned by RIM: http://spinton.es/eula.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer

I would start with the terms of the agreement is using App World. I'm certain that there is something in there that allows RIM to restrict app for any reason at any time.
Developer
My Device: Red Z10, 32GB PlayBook, Numerous Android/WP8/FirefoxOS/Other devices
My Carrier: T-Mobile

(Not legal advice) It doesn't really matter what the agreement says if it's a violation of law Smiley Wink

I'm not saying it is, I have no clue. Which is why I said I might research it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer

But you have to look at what the law is in Canada for this, not the US and see if NAFTA (or what ever it is called now) covers any of this.
Developer

jtegen wrote:
But you have to look at what the law is in Canada for this, not the US and see if NAFTA (or what ever it is called now) covers any of this.

what does this have to do with Canada? AppWorld is world wide.  This is unfair competition.