Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: In app purchase, where to use it.

I've been implementing this as well and one issue came up that perhaps someone can comment on.

Having the user purchase the upgrade and unlock the trial content is easy.

The problem is when they switch devices (which many do often) and they need to reinstall the app.  The uiser may be confused about which to download a) the trial version again ,  b) the full version (which they don't have in MyWorld).

If they download the trial version again you need to add the code to check pre-existing purchases to verify that they actually bought the upgrade at one point.  This may be tricky because it could require a login to app world with the blackberry ID again.

My concern is that getting back to the full version again on a device switch could be a problem and create support issues.

Any thoughts?

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

How do you know they "switched" devices and not just trying to get a free version on another device?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

To get the free version they need to use their BlackBerry ID.  If they already purchased the upgrade and are redownloading the free again with the same ID I think we can expect that they want the full version again.  

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How many developers here switched from try and buy using dynamic licensing to this "new way" of payment?

I'm afraid to switch soon, I don't want to be a beta tester, I think I'll switch when all things will be more mature.

Contributor

Do you know if you need to store a list of what the user has already bought?

Or will the call to check existing purchases return a convenient, locally cached copy of this, as it seems to imply?

Nick

Developer

If you are talking with me banzai I haven't understood well your question and if you are referring to dynamic licensing or to the new in app purchase.

Contributor

sblantipodi wrote:

If you are talking with me banzai I haven't understood well your question and if you are referring to dynamic licensing or to the new in app purchase.

It was an open question, loosely related to the thread Smiley Wink

I'm talking about the in-app purchase system, and what the best method is to store the fact that a person has made a purchase, in the case where they have unlocked content already stored in the app.

e.g. I have a game with 10 free levels and 10 locked levels. The user 'buys' the locked levels, which simply means that I unlock the content already contained within the app.

Can a user tamper with the app's saved data in any way to fool the system into thinking a purchase had occured?

Developer

obviously if possible, some of my apps has been cracked, I have free trial that can be unlocked with an activation code, and they craked it.

With COD files cracking app is much more difficult anyway, they cracked my JavaME obfuscated version.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

in app purchases is mainly good for buying "resources" already available in the application.  Ror example, buying new game levels, buying new characters, etc.  You could use it to buy an app the user is already using as a trial basis, but it cannot be used to "upgrade" to a new version since there is no mechanism to then download and install the new application version.

Developer

Are you series jtegen?

Suppose that I use in app purchase on my apps version 2.0, my customers unlock the trial version with the in app purchase.

After the customer bought the software, there is no way to upgrade his license to 2.1 version?

Is this true?