Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: 9780 curve
My Carrier: Etisalat

Installing an application which has multiple cod files on Device

Hi,

I am new to BlackBerry application development  and I would like to know  how to merge multiple cod files to a single file.

Currently I tried by putting cod file and alx file in the same folder and tried to install the application on a device using desktop manager ,but  I am getting an error message . If I am adding  the complete standard folder then I am able to install the application.(my application is of 6 MB size).Why is it so?

Can anyone please tell me how to install the application with just a single lax and cod file.

Thanks in advance.

Contributor
My Device: All
My Carrier: All

Re: Installing an application which has multiple cod files on Device

hi,

Have you put all cod files or sigle to install the application. as to install the application all cod files are required...

Thanks and Regards
-----------------------------
Rizwan Khot
Mumbai
Contributor

Actually the cod file which is present in the standard folder is a zip file of multiple folders . I just copied that  cod file and  alx file from standard folder and pasted in a new folder. Then I try to import the alx file from newly created folder using BlackBerry desktop manager

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

The size could be an issue

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Size-Restrictions/m-p/184830...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor

Actually my doubt is that , for installing an app on a device using desktop manager  do we need the whole standard folder or just alx and cod file?

When I am using just alx and cod files it's giving me error and if I use the entire standard folder then I can install the application.So do I need to merge the multiple cod files into one file for installing the app using just alx and cod files?

Developer

From my own experience for desktop installation you need .ALX and single .COD file. For OTA install you need .JAD and multiple .COD files. So in your case you need to merge the separate COD files into one single COD file

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please tell me how to merge the separate COD files into a single one?

Also what is the case for it to app world?

Developer

Hmm, usually my IDE generates only one COD file so I never faced that issue before. You can try just to pack the separate files in a ZIP archive (with WinZip or WinRar) and then to rename the archive extension to .COD.

As for the App World - you can just upload the multiple cod files. If you upload one big cod file, the multiple cod files will be automatically extracted from the big one, so there is really no point to make one big cod file.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I tried the way you have shared but its not working. Can you Please tell me exact steps to do that. Its urgent