Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Issues with Review system

Is there anything we can do about App Worlds review system?

Obviously the review system is a useful "free" mechanism for RIM to manage apps, but it's really frustrating to have users issue negative reviews when they fail to follow instructions already provided with the app.

It wouldn't be so bad if RIM could approve submissions more quickly, but it's currently taking a month.

What is really frustrating - bad reviews or otherwise - it that while it takes forever to get an update deployed, and days to get descriptive and review flagging processed, it seems to take only a few minutes for RIM to accept a bad review.

I had a negative review today from a guy who couldn't wait 30 minutes for me to respond to his email after he failed to follow the installation instructions. His review was online in minutes, my enhanced description of how to avoid the install problem (I made it virtually impossible to ignore) is already 24 hours old and not updated. The fact he managed to successfully install afterwards doesn't remove the bad review.

In addition, I flagged his review but have absolutely no idea whether the flag has been seen or otherwise. I'm just going to flag it continuously until they build some kind of mechanism to show whether the flag is processed.

Fair enough, people should have the right to review products, but there at least has to be some right of reply and failing that - the vendor should be notified prior to the review being published and given the opportunity anonymously of responding to the reviewers issues.

We generally tend to respond angrily in the first few moments after experiencing an issue, and after sober second thoughts often revise our viewpoint. Maybe forcing people to confirm their posts after waiting perhaps 30 minutes to an hour after posting a negative review might both reduce developer frustration and reduce RIM staff workload.

New Developer

Re: Issues with Review system

I know how you feel.

We had 2 today for the same reason.  Two users gave us a 1 star review because the app didn't do something they wanted it to do.  Problem is, we state in the description of the product exactly what it does and doesn't do.

I've only had to flag a few reviews, and they seem to take alot longer to resolve the issue then I'd like.  Reviews are a major factor in whether a user downloads an app or not, so 5 days of a couple bogus 1-star reviews, and it can really hurt you.

New Developer

It's nice to see that we're not the only ones experiencing this.  Well, on second thought, it's not nice to see.

We had one negative review on one of our apps due to a programming bug that only occurs on a specific device.  The bug has now been fixed and a new version has been released, approved, and is for sale (a three week wait between submission and approval), but the review remains and there's nothing we can do about it.  We've taken to addressing the negative review in the app description, but this is obviously not a solid or permanent solution.

We flagged the review over a week ago with no result.  I think?  Like br14 mentioned, there is just no way to know.

To RIM: We developers really want to make apps for your devices and we really want to use your store to sell them, despite how difficult you are making it for us to do so.  The review process is just another pain point for us in a long string of issues including Alliance Membership, BIS access, signing keys, new release approval delays, and even our icons and descriptions inexplicably showing up in some places of the store but not others.

I hate to bring this up as it has probably been beaten to death, but we spend about 90% of our time working on BlackBerry applications and about 10% on iPhone applications, for the same applications.  The apps have been working and for sale for months on the App Store, while we continue to fight our way through the red tape cobwebs of BlackBerry development.

However, complaints alone are not productive.  So here's what we would like to see:

• A review system that allows vendors to reply to user reviews
  • Some kind of feedback loop for flagged reviews
  • Contact from App World to a purchaser that encourages reviews and makes it easy for them to leave reviews

New Developer

I'm still waiting for a response, I emailed appworldvendersupport to have them removed, and also continue to flag them.

Sales for that app have dropped by about a 1/3 since these reviews were posted.

Things brings up another thing...

We were looking into the pros/cons of joining the alliance program.  $2,000 is alot for us, we're 2 people who started our company, do all the work ourselves etc..  If we have problems with reviews and it takes a while for them to be resolved, why would we save up for a month and pay the 2k for the allance program?

Is there a benefit to it?  Would these kinds of issues be delt with alot faster if we were members??

Developer
Developer

we are dealing with the same problem.  we have end users who expect our application to do something that it isn't designed to do and clearly specifies it does not do, and who then give us a zero star review.  these kind of reviews ruin our ranking and take our sales down by 70-80%.  there must be some way to weight the star system toward the positive reviews we are getting from users.. I mean at the very least if a zero/one star review says "this application works but it didn't do x" where it's not even designed to do x, then that review shouldn't carry the same weight as all the others. 

Developer
Developer

[ Edited ]

also if the user denies the application access to certain aspects of the blackberry which it requires to function or if they  don't even understand the request for permissions, why are their reviews allowed to be posted?  the pattern seems to be the less the person understands, the more eager they are to bash the application for not working.

if a user has a genuine problem with our applications then thats fine, we accept that we made a mistake with our design or our interface or some other issue we are responsible for.  but when we can't even respond (publicly or privately) to the user who has a barely functional knowledge of how to use their blackberry, how are we supposed to accept the review system as legitimate?

New Developer

I just had 3 zero star reviews come in.  Again, users aren't reading the description for install instructions Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

I would like see reviews expire after about 1 month or get purged when a new release is made.  The rankings for the application can persist, but there's no value in reading a comment based on an old release.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

This is overneeded but will never happen unless everyone votes in jira as what's posted here doesn't seem to matter, only the amount of votes a topic gets in the jira ticket system.

I created a ticket about being able to respond to reviews a month or so ago and it hasn't even been looked at because there's no votes...

So if you want to respond to reviews, vote and let BlackBerry know

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-2032

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Tried to vote but received a permission violation.