Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Licence types having subscriptions greater than 30 days...like yearly or 3 yearly

hello ,

I am new to publishing the apps in the app store front.

While browsing through the documentation for the vendor portal administration guide - Vendor portal - Administration Guide - BlackBerry App World storefront - 3.1 i found that there are 2 types of subscription based Licensing Types given by RIM i.e 7-day subscription & 30-day subscription.

I want a product to have a subscription on a larger time period say one year or 3 years. That means at the time of purchase i will provide the user a product key which will expire in 1 or 3 years. After that user needs to renew the subscription by paying.

What should be my way in this scenario ?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Licence types having subscriptions greater than 30 days...like yearly or 3 yearly

It sounds to me like you simply don't want to use RIM's implementation of "subscription-based licensing", since it doesn't align with your needs. Use one-time purchases instead, no (RIM) subscription, and implement everything around the subscription aspect yourself.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: Licence types having subscriptions greater than 30 days...like yearly or 3 yearly

hey peter,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I got what u said but it in case can u give me some more material that can help me like a link to documentation or an overview description of an example ?

Developer

I'm not aware of any material on this aside from what you can find by searching in these forums, or the documentation on the Payment Service.

I just checked the docs, and realized I misused the term "one-time" above.  What I meant is what they call a "consumable digital good" in this page: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/33917/Features_1335481_11.jsp

One-time purchases are truly one time.. the server blocks attempts to repeat the purchase.  With subscription-based goods, the server manages the renewal times etc.  Since their times don't match what you want, you can't use them.  With the consumable goods, it's up to you to determine how they'll be used.  Since you want them to have to repurchase once a year (or whatever), you need to build around the consumable digital good.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Just to share another idea - you can set your app as one time purchase. Then after an year you can push a paid upgrade, after another year - another paid upgrade. The downside is that users, who have purchased the app for example a month before the upgrade, will be quite upset.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Probably an in-app purchase might be the best bet, since those have date purchased. But how to know when to start the clock, keeping in mind the app might get deleted and re-installed. Probably need to maintain a server/DB with initial use and phone home periodically to know when to let the user to re-subscribe.
Developer

jtegen, if the in-app purchase (which is what the whole subscription/one-time/consumable thing is) has date-purchased, then isn't that adequate to "start the clock"?

If the app's deleted, it requeries the RIM server through the Payment SDK to ask for the info again. I thought that's how it was supposed to work anyway. Are you suggesting there's a problem with that approach?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I agree the in-app purchase is not sufficient to get a start date, since it is assumed that there was an original purchase price to start with. But if you use a dynamic license key on your own server, you can then get a start date and then periodic checks could then inform the user when to re-subscribe again with an in-app purchase, which would get you a new updated date.