Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: 9530 Simulator 2.11.0.86

License Options

I have read the FAQ but can someone explain the licensing options for Single and Static modes?  The FAQ says:

"In Static mode, there is no license key needed to run the application. With Single mode, there is a single key that is used to unlock the application."

I can't find any information on if somebody downloads your app if they can copy it to other devices, or upload to a website for others to download.  What are the copy restrictions as they relate to licensing options?

Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Re: License Options

All of the protections around whether users can copy applications to another device or re-use keys will be entirely based on how the developer implements their own protection mechanisms for their application.

The difference between these two modes is that for Static mode you do NOT have any license keys at all.  The application as distributed by the App World client would not require any license key at all.   No DRM protection for the application is provided at all.

For Single Mode you provide the portal with one single key that is required for all of the versions of the application that would be distributed.  It would indicate that DRM has been built into the application and the protection will be provided by a single key.  If that key is distributed to anyone else it would be possible for someone else to use the application without paying for it.  It is considered marginally more protected than static mode.

Ultimately, this is going to depend entirely on the effort involved in protecting your revenue stream compared to the threat of that happening.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

mooret,

I would consider using the dynamic licensing feature.  You can generate a license based off of information that the AppWorld POSTs to your URL after the customer makes a purchase.  Then, the customer is presented with the Key. The FAQ that you read has everything you need to know about it.  Currently, the test URL button has a bug where it doesn't pass any parameters but that should be fixed sometime next week...so I am told.

But yes, you will have to add code to your application to accept a key.  Once the customer puts in the key, you need to make your application unlock itself.  So I would work on that code now if you haven't already done so.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

RLord321 wrote:

mooret,

I would consider using the dynamic licensing feature.  You can generate a license based off of information that the AppWorld POSTs to your URL after the customer makes a purchase.  Then, the customer is presented with the Key. The FAQ that you read has everything you need to know about it.  Currently, the test URL button has a bug where it doesn't pass any parameters but that should be fixed sometime next week...so I am told.

But yes, you will have to add code to your application to accept a key.  Once the customer puts in the key, you need to make your application unlock itself.  So I would work on that code now if you haven't already done so.

Are you serious... this is so disheartening, even more code to write. I thought this would somehow be taken care of by BB, like the iPhone with their iTunes... Is there some kind of a guide to licensing code? I have no idea where to start...

Thanks 

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

[ Edited ]

babygodzilla,

Even iTunes has to have some type of framework that developers must adhere to.  It may be more work on your part to accept a license key but there's always the option of a static key which keeps things simple.

There's also a nice Post in this section of the forum which explains how to make the key transparent to the customer:

Dynamic Licensing and Automated License Key Capturing

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=appworld_dev&thread.id=17

Check it out.

Message Edited by RLord321 on 03-14-2009 11:40 PM