Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3

Maybe off topic - Matrials used that is copyrighted by 3rd parties

Hi when looking at the app store I could see that there are several apps, that inlude materials owned by 3rd parties - ie neither the developer or RIM. The mot obvious would be the developer ifosys - do a search on them in the appstore and several books shows up

Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series

Terry Pratchets complete Discworld collection

A Song of Ice and Fire - The Game of throne series

Harry Potter series

So I wonder how they could even get pass the app approval process because there are no way in hell that all these books in that poor a fomatting would be legal to download for free and if there are no general checks to see if apps really are owned by those who submit the apps at all?

My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Maybe off topic - Matrials used that is copyrighted by 3rd parties

Each app has a support email listed in its entry. You could email the vendor with your question. Maybe you'll get an answer explaining how they've been able to license those books for redistribution, or maybe you'll hear nothing. If you don't get an answer that satisfies you, you could contact RIM or the copyright owners to let them know of the apparent violation.

The vendor wouldn't hold the copyright on those works, of course, but they may legitimately have negotiated publishing rights with the copyright holder. If the descriptions say nothing about that, I'd expect you're right about the situation, but you never know. Check with the vendor first and see what they say.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!