Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Moving app under a company name

My first application was created under my name, but now I have formed an LLC and want to move the app under that name, but don't want to disrupt existing installations of the application -- and I would like updates to the end user to be seamless as well.

I know that in App World I can change the company name, and I'll update future versions of my application to use the company name in its branding/About message.  What about the signing keys?  Do I need to keep the original signing keys and use those throughout the life of the application, or can I switch the application to new keys registered under the company name?

Any help, real world experience advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Moving app under a company name

I would get new keys and sign the next version with those keys. The other issue has to do with the application id. If you change that, it will appear to be a different app during installation. So you may need to keep the ID of current apps, and use a new reverse DNS id name to your new company name.
Developer
My Device: Z10

Re: Moving app under a company name

@jtegen -- Thanks for the advice. Will definitely be getting new keys and also preserving the application id. Next version will be the switch.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.