Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Multiple dynamic license web request coming in ...

[ Edited ]

Hey Ryan... Can you please clarify?

I've change my key generator to convert decimal pins to hex before licensing. So I'm not getting all those failures now. 

But I am seeing transaction IDs change. Some are initially 10 digits but suddenly change to 10 digits when refreshed. And it's not a matter or type conversion or truncation. They are completely different decimal numbers...

Can you explain what these transaction IDs are doing? How can they change?

For example...

id     status      pin       email               transactionid  
32876  relicensed  32xxxxDF  xxx@blackberry.net  5642574        
32864  licensed    32xxxxDF  xxx@blackberry.net  9659388042     
32875  relicensed  25xxxx34  zzz@blackberry.net  5374069        
32397  licensed    25xxxx34  zzz@blackberry.net  9568148442     

Developer
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

I'm still getting lots of old repeated transactions every single day.. tried to find out what actual sales I've had and of course the report won't generate.. 

Developer
My Device: storm 2

I've just made my code check to see if it's a duplicate and not record it if it is.  It doesn't seem like this problem is going to be fixed any time soon.

Developer

I added the following code to mine and it has really cleaned things up. I still get multiple requests. But they are now handled appropriately. I only count the status = "licensed"...

if(pin.length()>8 && pin.matches("\\p{Digit}*" )) {
	int decPin = Integer.parseInt(pin.trim());
	pin = Integer.toHexString(decPin).toUpperCase();
}

sql = "select transactionid, pin from licenses where pin = ?;";
pstmt = conn.prepareStatement(sql);
pstmt.setString(1, pin);
rs = pstmt.executeQuery();
if(rs.first()){
	String oldTransId = rs.getString(1); 
	if(oldTransId.equals(transactionId)){
		status = "refresh";	
	} else {
		status = "relicensed";
	}
} else {
	status = "licensed";
}

Developer

I think we have all had to implement code to fix this...and i"ve had to putting "cleaning" code into import/export DB to clean the garbage from my DB.

It should be real interesting to see AppWorld report on our sales...I'm afraid that if they can't even

fix this issue - then they can't accurately track our sales...why should anyone have confidence in this?

It's insane that we all have to "kludge" our license server code to make up for incompetence on their end...

The most aggravating part of this is they literally are not accountable to anyone...they simply don't show any signs of remorse...they have cost our company manhours and credibility with our customers - and we are just 1 of many...

Developer

[ Edited ]

Hey Ryan... I'm getting people looking for their license key with no entries in my database at all. No errors. Nothing... 

Checking my httpd logs, I have the same number of requests as entries in my database. So I never got the request for a key.

I will PM you the details of the request.

Can you please keep us up to date on what's going on? Because to the development community it looks like nothing is going on.

The system is broken. We are losing business. RIM App World is damaging our goodwill. RIM's reputation is suffering too. You would think this would be a priority to fix.

Thanks

Peter

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Look guys, nothing is going to get fixed. Ever.

No matter how much you post here asking, demanding, threatening, crying etc to RIM to fix something or change something or even address the issues it's not going to happen. I've been on this forum daily for over 2 years. The same issues come and go consistently never with any resolution.

Occasionally you'll get the standard "I have been able to recreate the problem and have reported the issue to our dev team" reply and that will be the end of that. It won't get fixed. ever. Not even years after. I can think of a dozen of these of the top of my head that directly affect my apps alone and none were fixed. zero. Doing a little search and I find these issues have been around years before I got here. Then you'll get the rare "I'm trying to see what I can do to straighten this situation out..' reply here from someone from RIM support. They will reply to one maybe 2 more follow up posts after that then disappear and the issue will not get resolved. Happens time and time again.

Then you'll get the "We have fixed blah blah blah and it's back up now" reply. Case in point 'signing servers. But they're not fixed. Someone at RIM just rebooted the signing server and maybe deleted some temp files or whatever and signing works again... for a little while and then the servers are down again and the process repeats.

I've had the following issues for over a year and a half:

. User gets incorrect activation code - even though my records show i sent the correct code back to rim servers

. User gets no activation code from app world - I have to manually generate one and send it to the irate customer

. User can't download from app world with a variety of errors

. User gets the wrong version of the app from app world

. App disappears from their my world account .

. User is charged more than once . User gets no receipt from RIM.

.User gets charged for my app when they didnt even purchase

. Pin get sent in hex form then in decimal form then multiple times, sometimes more than 50 times for one purchase.

. Reports don't work

. Garbage data being sent in pin request

and more!

In each case I've talked to app world support dozens and dozens of times and have seen all the standard replies and excuses and promises time and time again. Sometimes they will ask for follow up information if you're lucky.You send it to them and they don't reply and that's the end of that. . No resolution. I can't think of one issue ever that has been fixed here. Developers are angry, customers are angry and RIM does nothing. No remorse, no compensation and no apologies from. Issues here are treated with a band-aid approach.

They will occasionally patch something up quickly without any thought to it and claim it's 'fixed' while breaking 5 other things in the process. Then developers who've had enough take off to android and new bb developers come here and act surprised when the signing servers don't work. Then they're all happy when rim reboots the server when they get around to it after you've lost a few days of work and gathered more angry customers and perhaps an angry boss. Little do they know that it's only a matter of time until the signing servers die again. But the bright side of that is that since you can't do any testing while they are down you'll have some extra time to clean out all annoying emails the signing servers send to you that nobody wants and the everybody repeatedly asks rim to stop sending. Rim hasn't addressed that issue either.

So bottom line.. multiple dynamic license requests in multiple formats are here to stay. Get used to it. Same with the hex and decimal pins. That's happened several times in the last 2 years. Each time the band-aid approach was applied to the wound only for it to resurface again later.

A nick here, a little cut there.... pretty soon you're bleeding to death.

New Developer

Probably it is best for us to simply upload the fully licensed version of our apps? I am currently thinking of doing this.

Dynamic licensing is problematic this is the reason why the Android Market, Windows Marketplace, and most app stores that belong to phone providers choose not to implement it.

New Developer

Dynamic licensing isn't problematic. If's just one server posting to another server and that server sending info back. It's the same as visiting an https site. You request data from the site it generates a key or requests a key from a key service sends you the key you ack it data gets sent to you the key is used acks go back and forth etc etc. I dont see forums filled with 'I can't view my secure site!!" threads. The problem is not 'dynamic licensing'. The problem is RIM has buggy code and they don't put in the effort to fix it. Simple as that. Android does have this btw. So does mobihand. So do 3 other app stores I use. I've never had a problem with either of them.
Developer

I have a theory that App World is actually outsourced and a product of Digital River. I doubt RIM is actually running it. The whole mess smells like outsourcing gone bad where nobody is clearly responsible or obviously accountable. 

Though ignoring the develpoer community clearly lands in RIM's camp...

Not the way I would run a business.