Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM
Accepted Solution

New Featured Image

"Submit a 1920x1186 pixel PNG image to use as a featured image of the product. If the product is an application, it should match the design of the featured image of your application. The image will be scaled for display within App World. "

In which context it will be used? Can I see somwhere example of some product promoted with such image? Previously it was nice version of icon (large) - now it is a mystery for me.

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Re: New Featured Image

I'm half asleep and posted a dup of this thread. sorry

I think that this large image is for use when you request that your app be place in the featured apps carousel. This image used to be a bit smaller than the 480x480 icon.

The new size seems excessive and means I will need to get new art.

Developer

Yes, but it is not square. It is rectangle, can there be some more graphics? Some text? Few good samples should clear my doubts.
Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

gluth wrote:
Yes, but it is not square. It is rectangle, can there be some more graphics? Some text? Few good samples should clear my doubts.

I agree. And a little bit of advance notice would have been nice too!

Edit:

I had a look at the new home page in app world. Looks like the carousel at the top is where this image might be used. I has text and graphics. Guess I'll have to spend a bit on some graphical design work (as soon as we can get this confirmer)

Developer
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Bell

For lack of any guidance from RIM as to exactly what this image should be, and why it needs to be exactly 1920 x 1186, I upconverted a 1024 x 600 screenshot from one of my apps, and uploaded that. The image appears to upload, but when I hit Save at the bottom of the update page, it seems to disappear. Going back into the edit screen again, there's no image, and the Add button is there as if I'm starting from scratch. No change ticket created, no warning as to what might have failed. It did create a change ticket for the short description update, but not for the image.

So the new process seems to create more questions than it answers.

Surprised?

Highlighted
Developer

Somwhere in the internet I have found above image, which, I think, may give some informations about purpouse and placing of the featured image. But it is just hoax image from Internet, it could be wrong in all cases.

--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

KenSalmon wrote:

For lack of any guidance from RIM as to exactly what this image should be, and why it needs to be exactly 1920 x 1186, I upconverted a 1024 x 600 screenshot from one of my apps, and uploaded that. 

I have uploaded an image with the exact size of 1920x1186. The upload was successful and new ticket is created.

I guess we have to stick to the instructions.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

I have uploaded an image with the exact size of 1920x1186. The upload was successful and new ticket is created.

I guess we have to stick to the instructions.

What I should have said was, I converted an image to the exact size 1920x1186 and uploaded that. It appeared to have accepted it, but did not create a change ticket, and gave no indication of a problem.

So yes, I did follow the instructions, but got unexpected results.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Ah, sorry, my bad, I misunderstood you Smiley Sad

I noticed something strange about the featured image upload - once I uploaded the image, it is displayed as thumbnail and button title is changed to "Change". However if I enter the Graphics tab once again the image is missing and button title is again "Add". Further new ticket is created but the number of tickets for the app is still "1 CR(s)" (I first changed the description and that was the first ticket). But if you check the "Change Request Tickets" menu you will see two tickets for a given app - one for the description and one for the image.

Or do you have only one ticket in "Change Request Tickets"?

Probably is worth to mention that I scaled the original product icon (480x480), it worked for about 10 apps so far

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

I have since created a new graphic from scratch, at the 1920x1186 dimension. I "add"ed it, and this time it created a change ticket, which was accepted within a couple of hours. Right now, as you say, the thumbnail with "Change" appears in the vendor portal.

If only we could get some indication from RIM where and how this graphic will appear; if it is intended to appear when an app is Featured, then are they planning other changes to the Featured list...because the graphics that show up now for Featured apps are decidedly squarish, whereas this new dimension is more rectangular. And why so big? Even occupying that much pixel space on a big PC monitor seems impractical. Their blurb says it will be scaled. D'oh. If it must necessarily be scaled to be usable pretty much everywhere, why not tell us what it's going to be scale to, so we can produce a graphic optimized for the target dimension(s) without the possibility of scaling artifacts.

If only they would tell us rather than just keep surprising us....................................