Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: New Featured Image

I asked this on Twitter to BlackBerryDev the other day and got no answer. In the past being featured meant a 320x320 logo, I have no idea what this is for. Some guidance as to what is expected here would be helpful. (and 1920x1186 is far bigger then any BlackBerry screen resolutions so far. It is almost 3 times the resolution of the 9900 but not quite...)

I am half tempted just to upload my 480x480 logo along with a whole lot of white space

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

I sent the following message to BlackBerry App World Marketing yesterday aft this is (the saame email addresse that I used to request that my app be placed in the carousel). 

No response yet...

Hi,

I am very confused about the new App World requirement for feature image and short description. The short description that I entered in the vendor portal appears as the description in the PC version of App World category list. 50 chararacters is way too short for that usage and it appears that the long description shows for other apps. The short description look tiny in a huge white rectangle - terrible actually.

I have not prepared a new feature image because I don't know hoiw it will be used. The specified dimensions (1920 x 1186 pixels) seems excessive. I have to blow- up my existing art which was designed for asa 480 x 480 icon. It looks terrible at this magnification!

Before I pay for new art, could you please enlighten me on how this image is going to be used in app world? Does it replace the 380 x 380 image that we used to provide you with wnen apps are featured in the carousel?

Thanks for your assistance

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

just submitted without problem

Developer

I recieved a message from Alex Kinsella on Twitter saying that this image "Can be whatever you want it to be".

For now I think I will wait to see how this is used in the beta before deciding what type of image to use.

Highlighted
My Device: bb
My Carrier: ?

This is what we've received re the new Feature Image:

The 1920 x 1186 will be used as a banner image on the web storefront as well as on the 3.0 App World client.  If we do not have this product featured image on file for the app and we choose to feature it the system automatically defaults to using your app icons.  Also with any App World 2.x client (which is most right now) we automatically default to using your app icon.  On the web storefront, your 1920x1186 icon will appear on the right of the rotating banner and your app icon appears in the top left.  In terms of what to use for the large banner that is ultimately your call.  Here are some guidelines though:

• Create a distinctive and attractive icon that BlackBerry® device and BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet users can recognize easily and that identifies the brand accurately.
  • Create an icon that is visually similar to the icon that you provided in the .cod or .bar file for the product. The icon appears on the Home screen of a device or the tablet when a BlackBerry App World user downloads the product.
  • Avoid using a screen shot of the product as an icon.
  • Avoid using profanity or other offensive material in your icon.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Three Mobile

Thanks for the info - which almost makes the matter more confusing!

I just don't see the point of creating an icon that is similar to the application icon but not quite the same???

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

BB App World 3.0 is in beta zone, you can take a look how the new banner image is used

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2011/08/blackberry-app-world-3-0-beta/

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: PlayBook

What a strange requirement to be able to sell apps on App World! I've had to resort to uploading a transparent 1920 x 1186 image.Why the huge resolution and odd aspect ratio

Developer

The aspect ratio is beacuse this is what they are using in version 3.0 of AppWorld for anything featured in the carosel. Uploading a transparent image is probably not the best idea.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

There's no instruction in the Vendor Portal other than "submit a 1920x1186 pixel PNG image to use as a featured image". This leaves developers with no real idea as to what they're supposed to be putting on this ridiculously huge canvas, or why it's required to sell apps on App World.

Until RIM give us an idea of what this graphic will be used for, hopefully with guidelines and examples, I can't risk putting time and effort into creating it.

It's even more strange when you consider that having actual screenshots of your app is not mandatory, while this mystery image is...