Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Beeline

Phone contacts access

I just received a mail with description of reason for denial of my app.

Here it is:

The application accesses the phone contacts, which is is not allowed per
requirements.

But my app has permisson request in its bar.xml file:

<permission>access_pimdomain_contacts</permission>

Am I need some additional requirements? 

Or this is just a revewers incompetence?

p.s. Previous version of this app is already in AppWorld - and there were no issues with permissons with it. Maybe there are some new rules permitting apps to access contacts?

My BB10 apps: Photo Memo | TriQuick | SkidStone | MeeBirthdays
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Phone contacts access

I wonder if it's related to the purpose of the app, as covered by your description. Is it an app which one would normally expect to access the phone contacts? Maybe the requirements they're talking about are new (?) policies which cover apps that do with personal data that a user would not expect from the description of the app.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

The main purpose of the app - is to work with contacts Smiley Happy

You can find it in AppWorld - it called MeeBirthdays.

It takes birthdays from contacts info and set for them events in calendar.

It can't even work without an access to contacts Smiley Happy

And previous version was succesfully approved for AppWorld just month ago - I don't think that some rules change since.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Then I have no idea what the rejection means... There do seem to have been a slew of incorrect rejections lately. Maybe it's simply a mistake. You might try replying to the email, making sure to preserve or add any information needed to identify the app in question (app id, usually, and name).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

So, the story got a sequel.

Next time app was denied with the reason that 

there is an issue with your app as it, when tap twice the app appears too large automatically. Please turn off the pinch zoom.

But there are no controls with zoom feature in an app. It's pure cascades app with single Listview. How can I turn off something, that is not in there?

Than, I just reapplied for approval. Waiated for another MONTH.

And again got a denial with contacts scanning issue.

I was trying to reply to those mail with the issue description - but during a month there were no replies from that address.

I'm very, VERY disappointed with such "developer releations"

Developer

So, after a bunch or abuse mails to differents addresses this App is successfully approved.

Without any changes in it (!)

What was that?

Who is responsible for such terrible approval process?

TWO MONTHS lost for nothing!

Developer

Oh, I can't keep silence. I've just got an another mail. Let me quote it fully.

Hello,

At BlackBerry we are constantly innovating and wish to provide you the developer with insights on creating the best applications for the end users.

>App ID: 20353014
>App Name: MeeBirthdays

Concerning your question regarding having your application in BlackBerry World, I would suggest going over some the guidelines once again:
http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/design/bb10/application_structure.html
http://developer.blackberry.com/design/bb10/

Suggestions:
Your tab overflow bar (see attached) has ‘Select’ and ‘Deselect’ buttons. The wording is somewhat confusing as ‘Select’ means ‘Select All’ and ‘Deselect’ means ‘Deselect All’ 
Your action bar, ‘Select’ means ‘Select All’
What is the difference between an ‘event’ versus a ‘reminder’(long pressing). Both creates an item on the calendar. Confusion for end users
Duplicate actions on ‘set event’ in action bar and in overflow tab
Not querying ‘Birthday’ titles from other social networks (Eg. Facebook, LinkedIN)

William Hoang
Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations

Developer

And here goes my answer:

Hi, Will.

Tnaks for the reply.
But your mail looks not like You wanted to help me, but more like faultfinding.
So, let's look through your "advices":
1. About "Select All" wording. Maybe, You're right on this point (although Guideline recommends using of shorter labels when possible...)
2. And thanks for the " ‘event’ versus a ‘reminder’ " catch - I've missed theres difference.
3. But "Duplicate actions in action bar and in overflow tab" - it's not the right point. Don't You know that it's an cascades action bar feature? And there is no way of using buttons on action bar, that will not appear in an overflow menu...
You can check it's behavior here: http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/reference/bb__cascades__actionbarplacement.html
4. And for the Facebook etc... Did I mentioned somewhere that my app supports social networks? Anyway, standard Contacts API doesn't provide access to social networks contacts. By the way, why it doesn't? Maybe I'll add such support later if have enough time for writing the code not struggling with "developer support"...
5. Are You sure that all this points result into considerable reason for app's rejection?
6. And what connection all this points have with original deny reason "the app denied because of use of contacts"?

To sum up: I suppose that faultfinding instead of answers is all the "support" that I can count on.

Alexander.

I'm shocked. I have no words. The "Application Development Consultant" doesn't know the API features and possibilities...

Developer

Anyway my app is in BBWorld.

And even got B4BB approval.