Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

PlayBook App Approvals

Just an open note to RIM: I've had a PlayBook app waiting for approval since 3/31, and I've seen alot of people posting that their submissions from that day have been approved. How exactly does the queue work? With the PlayBook launching in 3 days, I'm feeling veeeery concerned that my app won't be there for launch, and frankly, that's the worst (best?) thing RIM could do to dissuade me from continuing to develop on the platform. Is anyone else in the same boat? Can someone from RIM comment and at least let us know what's going on with the reviews? Thanks.

New Developer

Re: PlayBook App Approvals

Was it a WebWorks app?  I'm getting the feeling that the testing is much more manual of a process for these apps.  Mine hasn't been looked at either.  Not much else to do but scan the forums to see the frequently noted "faults" in apps (Wrong icon size, app not signed, build with current version) and make sure yours meets those.  Good luck!  What does your app do?

Developer

Mine is an Air app; specifically a game called Neon Bounce. I don't expect them to find any bugs - part of my strategy was to keep things as low-level as possible, and avoid issues where the simulator doesn't properly reflect the actual device, which I've read has been a common problem for people developing FLEX apps (bad libraries, I guess). Then again, who knows? I am a little concerned about whether specifying landscape mode will have messed it up somehow...we will see.

To any lurkers, check the things Sara mentioned. I especially had trouble signing. As of the current SDK (0.94), it is much safer to sign through command line. You can verify that it signed properly by checking your manifest folder and seeing if it contains 5 files.

What's your app like, Sara? We should all download each other's apps to support one another. Perhaps I'll start a thread for that later.

New Developer

Euf, my app is for a pretty specific niche.  It's for crafters (cross stitchers) to keep an inventory of what colors of embroidery thread they have, and cross check it with a shopping list.  I also threw in a color picker to spit out the closest thread match to a chosen hex value.  Kind of basic, but I'm a young dev and I only have 2 hours a night to work on learning.  Mine's webworks.  My first run was very rudimentary, and I'm aiming for a nicer interface version for a 2.0 release.  Though it was my first go at javascript, and I really need to look back and learn a little bit about organization.

Developer

It's good to start out young, and you're smart to identify mobile as a good opportunity (especially the PlayBook, where you have little competition and a guarunteed audience). Aesthetics are a huge part of app development, and the UI can make or break your application. Most programmers don't like to deal with it, but I recommend spending some time looking at the UIs in various successful applications. Come up with your own aesthetic, and make it work. You'll be way more successful for your effort. People will choose the well-polished app over the multi-featured app almost every time.

Developer

Just confirming that the issue was resolved in another topic.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Where was this resolved? I have a signed app which was rejected because it wasn't signed...

---------
Developing Tony Stark's JARVIS System which we call the CYMAN System on the mac ... an app for it coming soon on the BlackBerry Playbook too!

If I've been able to help in any way, credit your friendly neighborhood developer $0.02 worth of kudos!