Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: storm 2

Poor reviews

What does everyone do about poor reviews?

It seems only users who are dissatisfied write reviews!  I had an app that was selling really well, then a user left a review with zero stars saying it was missing some feature and now I'm only selling a few a day.  It's crippling me!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Poor reviews

You can deny a review from the Vendor portal, but the negative star count still affects the total.

Better than nothing though.

The review system is hopeless. As you say people generally write reviews when they're negative about your app.

I tend to have positive reviews once every 2500 downloads.

Fortunately I don't have too many bad reviews, and the ones I do have are generally ridiculous.

Zero stars because the app isn't available in Spanish for example. I'd love to provide the app in Spanish, but I don't claim it's available and therefore shouldnt have to suffer a poor rating as a result.

There should be some mechanism to review the reviews but I guess it's just too tedious a task.

Developer
My Device: storm 2

It's a difficult problem - but like you say we all suffer rediculous reviews!

Denying a review should revert the star count - that's the biggest factor I think!

They should also allow us to comment as to why we think a review should be removed so that it can be judged on merit.

Developer

I think Try&Buy licensing might help. If I understand things right, only people who buy the app can submit reviews. Under the Try&Buy model, only people who like your app will buy your app, so the only people who can submit reviews are those who like your app!

Of course, prior to App World 2.0 the Try&Buy licensing had a serious bug that often made it difficult to make a purchase. So if you had used Try&Buy you might had found App World to be crippling in another way.  But that's in the past, and should be fixed in 2.0. I suffered under Try&Buy, but you might have an easier time.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Hadn't thought of that but you make a lot of sense.

I've found my occasional bad review with paid apps occur when folks buy the app, realise it isn't what they imagined, and are unable to "return" the app for a refund. Try and Buy should lessen the issue substantially. (I think part of the problem is also the limited app description via the App World application versus the web).

We're unable to communicate with customers who would rather write a negative review than contact us for support. Within a limited timespan I'd be happy to refund anyone that was unhappy with the app, but there's no way to achieve that with the current App World.

Thanks for the suggestion. Try & Buy probably would resolve that scenario. I'd also like to see App World provide some means of communication with reviewers. Perhaps by offering a selectable set of responses that vendors could choose to send to reviewers to elicit feedback or offer support.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

When you Deny a review RIM support is usually good with turn around time.  usually 2 or 3 days to approve the Deny request.

I agree with you.  All my apps are paid only and no try.  Most of the reviews are negative because they couldnt get the app to work and never really contact us about it first.   Most of the problems are solved if they had read the Help file.

I have asked about the Reviews why the are different when viewed on the Desktop vs on the BB they said that appworld keeps all the review ratings but do not show the Denied reviews. So if you have 5 reviews and 1 is 5 out 5 and  4 are Denied then appworld will show one review and only ONE star.

Developer

"Most of the reviews are negative because they couldnt get the app to work and never really contact us about it first.   Most of the problems are solved if they had read the Help file."

Very true. Today I had a guy give me a zero star review for a FREE app because he couldn't get the app to work. He had at least left his PIN.

Turns out he'd denied the permissions request that all apps appear to now receive and once that was resolved the app worked fine.

There really should be some kind of delay on accepting low star reviews. Perhaps forcing the user to confirm after 24 hours or similar.

Developer

I would like to see the reviews ordered from high to low.

Why should a 1 star review that makes no sense be at the top of the reviews?

Is that really the first thing we want users to see?

I still can't believe some of the stupid, irrelvant things that people say in these reviews.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

cwong15 wrote:

I think Try&Buy licensing might help. If I understand things right, only people who buy the app can submit reviews. Under the Try&Buy model, only people who like your app will buy your app, so the only people who can submit reviews are those who like your app!

Unfortunately not true. Reviews can be submitted once you download the app, which means that for Try&Buy the users will submit bad reviews for free Smiley Happy But at least this model is fair to the user, you can buy the app once you are convinced that it meets your expectations.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Tour 9630
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]
They should also allow us to comment as to why we think a review should be removed so that it can be judged on merit.

You can: just Deny the Review to create the ticket and then open the ticket and add a comment to the history tab. I'm pretty sure the RIM reviewer will pick it up and read it when they examine the ticket.
B
PlayBook Apps: Sudoku Pro
Smartphone Apps: Compass | MultiClock