Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: At&t
Accepted Solution

Problem! customers downloading the wrong version

as the tittle say i've been receiving mails from customers saying they just paid for one of my apps and downloaded but it doesn't work they can't find the theme, and when i go to check their bad review it says they downloaded the version for OS 5.0 and they were supposed to download the version for OS 6.0 what's wrong with that appworld? i went to check that all the versions have the correct devices. and they are ok !! Help Please 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Re: Problem! customers downloading the wrong version

This happened to me also yesterday, someone got the file bundle for a higher OS than they had.
Developer

In my case they downloaded a lower version than their current OS. Are customers able to choose wich version of the app-operative system they want to download ? Or does the system recognize it?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

In theory App World should match the app OS version with the phone OS version.

In real life - well, it seems that it doesn't work sometimes

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

They can't choose, each bundle is set for a minimum OS or greater, and it auto-selects.

This is a problem for devices that may have an older or newer OS.

For example, the 8520 largely has either 4.6 or 5.0.  Say your app has 4.6 and 5.0 versions.  If you set 8520 compatibility for both versions, App World won't approve the release until you set it compatible with only 4.6.  They've contacted me about this so many times, and don't seem to allow one device to be set compatible with more than one file bundle.  You have to set compatibility to the device's original OS.

Problem is, that means all 8520's get the 4.6 version, and the ones with 5.0 don't get the 5.0 version which has more features enabled by 5.0.  I don't understand why you can't set one device compatible with multiple bundles, and it gets the highest one that can run on its current OS.  Then when the users upgrade the OS, their apps also get upgraded to the more advanced version.

Developer

well my apps already have some time "up for sale" and nobody contacted me about not getting the right version or something.until now.... and i'm sure the app has been sold a few times for these versions thanks to the reports.

i guess just wait and see if it continues happening 

Developer

ok for everyone having this issue too :

This is because devices will want to download thie highest Release that supports their device.  2.0 is greater than 1.0 so any deivce that is supported on both Release will get 2.0, not the older 1.0. 

With regards to Minimum OS, OS6.0 devices will download the OS5.0 bundle unless you have a bundle in the newest Release with a  Minimum OS of 6.0 to support those device models.

Thanks Ryan.