Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Rating classification

[ Edited ]

Update: RIM has since talked about this on their blog, see below.

How are we supposed to use the new Rating classification? Are there any guidelines? What effect do the ratings have? Are there filters for certain users and/or countries?

Our app is a file manager. It shows you your files, whatever may be in them. If you have childrens stories, it shows them. If you have medical data, it shows it. If you have x-rated pics, it shows them. Does/should that influence the rating? Besides your local files, it can also access your cloud storage. That could contain files that were shared with you (personally) by friends/family/co-workers, which could contain something "sensitive".

The app was rated 'Teen'. Was this done automatically somehow, or were all apps reviewed? I've changed it to 'General', which in my opinion is more suitable. Update:  seems this was done automatically because we listed our Facebook page in the description.

I noticed that BlackBerry Bridge is rated 'Teen', while RIM's own Google Quick Search is rated 'General'. Strange. The chances of seeing something kid-unfriendly in an average mailbox, calendar, contact- or task-list is much lessl likely than in a Google search...

Should apps be rated according to their inteded use or possible "mis-use"?

For instance, how should a Wikipedia app be rated? You can use it to look up pictures of the space shuttle or learn out about your family pet, but you can also use it to read about sex, violence, gambling, drugs...

What about an MP3 player? Should the fact that it can play songs with explicit lyrics influence the rating of the app?

Finally, what is considered "mature" or "adult" differs from country to country, and even within various religions or regions. Something about breast-feeding or childbirth, for instance, may be "mature" in one country or religion, whilst it is discussed/depicted with young kids quite frankly in other countries. The difference between Europe and Saudi Arabia or even the US is huge.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

Re: Rating classification

Update: this blog post answers some (but not all) of the questions above:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/11/blackberry-app-world-content-ratings/

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Rogers and TELUS

Are there any guidelines? Registered App World vendors will be receiving additional info directly from the App World Storefront team later today on this.  The blog post has a lot of good details also.

What effect do the ratings have? Are there filters for certain users and/or countries? Right now, nothing.  Once we launch the 3.1 client - consumers will be able to set a rating filter.  So for example, if your app is rated "A" and they choose "G" only - then you're app won't come up in searches or in the categories, etc...

The app was rated 'Teen'. Was this done automatically somehow, or were all apps reviewed? I've changed it to 'General', which in my opinion is more suitable. Update:  seems this was done automatically because we listed our Facebook page in the description.  Correct, if you have any reference to social media apps/sites - your app gets rated "Teen".  You can make changes to your description and rating answers to get a different rating.

I noticed that BlackBerry Bridge is rated 'Teen', while RIM's own Google Quick Search is rated 'General'. Strange. The chances of seeing something kid-unfriendly in an average mailbox, calendar, contact- or task-list is much lessl likely than in a Google search... From the screen shots?  That's just our test server - not real world data.

Finally, what is considered "mature" or "adult" differs from country to country, and even within various religions or regions. Something about breast-feeding or childbirth, for instance, may be "mature" in one country or religion, whilst it is discussed/depicted with young kids quite frankly in other countries. The difference between Europe and Saudi Arabia or even the US is huge.  Agreed - this is difficult to judge based on the number of countries App World is available in.  We'll be working with you and our carrier partners on a case by case basis when issues like this pop-up.

Alex Kinsella @alexkinsella
Senior PR and Social Media Manager
Research In Motion
Developer

Thanks for the quick response, Alex!

akinsella wrote:

I noticed that BlackBerry Bridge is rated 'Teen', while RIM's own Google Quick Search is rated 'General'. Strange. The chances of seeing something kid-unfriendly in an average mailbox, calendar, contact- or task-list is much lessl likely than in a Google search... From the screen shots?  That's just our test server - not real world data.

Not from the screen shots, but from the web version of App World, which already displays the ratings. I had a look at the RIM apps to get a sense of how you applied the ratings to your own apps.

If I understand correctly, we should just use our best judgement and a good portion of common sense. 

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Could someone please explain what is the best app rating to have? I mean, which rating is the less restrictive in terms of apps visibility? Is it the G (general) or A18+ (adult)?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry