Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Ratings/Reviews effected by App Update ?

I don't think any automated system is ever going to cover all the corner cases so I think this is a pretty good compromise.

Do you agree Peter? I think this is something BlackBerry can potentially get up and running quickly.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Sean's right that those cases are outliers... I didn't mean the whole policy should be planned around such things. On the other hand, it shouldn't necessarily exclude them either.

In any case, no, I can't agree that outright removal of any set of past reviews with any update is a good idea.

Some updates are extremely minor and do not address any past concerns. They might even make something worse.

Some updates address some issues and absolutely do not address others.

Many users would never have any idea their review had been removed and would never consider going back to add yet another that just says the same thing again. They rightly get annoyed at BB and whine even louder about a bad experience.

I can probably think of a few other reasons, but maybe those are enough.

Now *if* it was under vendor control whether or not to wipe certain sets of past reviews, then I'd consider it possibly useful. It could be coupled to the version number (major/minor updates wipe past negative ones, micro updates do not) although I personally think such coupling is almost always a bad idea... not all developers use version numbering the same way.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Assuming you believe you've written a decent app and you are committed to squashing bugs and alleviating concerns raised in low star reviews isn't this a better option than what is happening now?

Currently I'm seriously considering not doing any maintenance updates, I have only 1 review showing since the last update if I want to squash a couple of bugs I lose that review causing potential loss of revenue.

The users who gave a bad star review previously are either no longer interested in your app or really are interested and will be motivated to write another review (as long as they know about it).

It's all very well fighting the users right to give a fair appraisal of your app but if we lose sales because of this policy I won't be here soon anyway to do the updates!

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I think what would be better than what is happening now, is what was happening before: the web site worked the same as the device BBWorld client apps, and no reviews were automatically hidden with an update.

Developers could remove reviews at any time which, while suboptimal for users, would let them hide any bad reviews such as this proposal would.

Maybe if we understood what they had in mind with this change we'd know what could be done. For all we know right now, it's a preliminary step just prior to making the same change to the BBWorld app, and soon (with 10.1?) we'll be losing all reviews with every update, everywhere. I sure hope not!

Maybe it's deliberate for just the web site, in which case I see no rationale for it... it looks like a bug to me, and certainly it's very confusing for users to see apps with 5 stars and apparently no reviews... This will surely not increase their currently low trust in the reviews and ratings.

Maybe it's just a bug, and they haven't quite understood what people out here really see. I don't think this would be the first time something like that happened.

Another concern comes to mind. Right now, rankings within a given category in BBWorld (e.g. Health and Diet, for White Noise) are determined largely by how many reviews you have. Does this change mean a high-ranking app will plummet out of site when it gets an update? That's counter-intuitive and very very bad.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

@smcveigh, care to answer some of these questions for us so we can better understand what goal you are trying to achieve and make a more informed judgment.

Only can you do it quick as I hear revenue sinking fast. Smiley Happy

Or any chance you can put it back to what it was before then we can take longer on the debate.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

I am not associated with the BlackBerry World folks.  I just saw Peter's tweet and followed the link the the forum and threw in my 2 cents.

That being said.. I'm going to pass this thread along through internal channels so that it gets some eyeball time.

Cheers,

Sean

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

reviews are so important for paid apps, so RIM please don't hide any review, to make it simple, just display all reviews with version + platform.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Web store is upgraded today, it shows all reviews now :-)
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

I've been reading reviews while I was downloading an app on the Z10 and I notice that a lot of the reviews disappear as soon as the download finishes. I've seen this at least 3 times.