Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Ratings/Reviews effected by App Update ?

JIRA is available to everyone, submit from your JAM account.

As for ASAP, recent 'more urgent' issues have taken several weeks to fix so don't hold your breath.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Simulator !!!
My Carrier: 8608800458

Ok, thanks. Still new to blackberry and didn't know about JIRA or JAM account. I see they just list the link as "Feedback" if you're on developer.blackberry.com.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Fraggle222 wrote:
Ok, thanks. Still new to blackberry and didn't know about JIRA or JAM account. I see they just list the link as "Feedback" if you're on developer.blackberry.com.

You'll also find it at the bottom of all pages on that site, as the "Developer Issue Tracker" link in the Support section.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor

Ok, yes, I see it in tiny letters at the bottom now, thanks.

In JIRA, I don't see any "Project" for Blackberry World Website. Any idea what project issues for that should be submitted to?
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dunno what JIRA is but I reported via vendor portal support form.
Developer

Fraggle222 wrote:
Ok, yes, I see it in tiny letters at the bottom now, thanks.

In JIRA, I don't see any "Project" for Blackberry World Website. Any idea what project issues for that should be submitted to?

The fact it's hard to know how to report issues against BBWorld is itself a known issue. :-)

I just use "Tools", as I recall. Others are using BBTEN for now. Probably the latter will get more attention faster.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

sh2sg wrote:

Not sure if it is by design or bug, every time an upgrade is approved, all of existing reviews and ratings for this app are gone on AppWorld web interface although they are still available on device client. Every upgrade will start with a completely empty review section on AppWorld Web.

Wow... If that is true, you just solved one of the biggest mystries of appworld regarding randomly fluctuating number of reviews on web store :-)

Developer

[ Edited ]

wiping out reviews on an upgrade means people will be hesitant in putting upgrades in.

Exactly, I am not going to provide any upgrade untill the 'problem' is fixed. 

Most of users get to know an app from forums or blogs, and get the first impression from AppWorld Web, reviews/ratings @ Web are important to attract people to search for the app again on device client. 

Regular Contributor

I've been in contact with someone on the Blackberry developer relations team, and they say this behavior is by design.

Here is what he wrote to me:

"I engaged our BlackBerry World team on your issue and they were able to confirm the following.

Reviews are specific to the Release/Platform.

When a new version is released, the old reviews will disappear while the previous star ratings remain. This allows developers to fix bugs that are impacting the end user, so as to not deter a user from downloading an app based on a bug when it has been fixed by the developer."

Developer

There was talk about doing something like this back at the last Jam Americas (or maybe even Orlando, in April 2012?), and many of us at the time even responded favourably to the general idea.

Somehow I think the results have come out fundamentally flawed in concept, however.

I have some reviews which mention flaws in certain apps, which I will generally leave in place until a fixed release has been approved. At that time, I can Deny the review and it will thereafter be hidden. If it was a low-star rating, then the overall rating is adjusted (at least, it used to be) to account for the review being removed.

I also have many reviews which are still perfectly valid, and I'd like to have them stay there. It's not like a new update invalidates 100% of my reviews.

This is like killing a house-fly with a hand grenade... way overkill. Removing all reviews just because a couple might mention a bug which might have been fixed? Yikes.

How about a checkbox when we submit a new review, giving developers the option? It would by default not be checked, and all past reviews would stay in place. If an update was so big (or a previously release so bad) that most of the reviews are made obsolete by it, then the developer can choose to enable the checkbox and when the release comes out, all past reviews are hidden.

Or an improved interface in the vendor portal, with an option to manually "hide all past reviews" or whatever.

I'm very glad this is affecting only the web site, so far, but now I greatly fear they're working on an update to the client apps on the device, and we'll see all reviews hidden whenever there's an update.

Maybe this is a nefarious plot to reduce the backlog in approvals, by discouraging us from ever updating our apps! (just kidding)

This will tend to discourage me from doing frequent updates, however, unless they never apply it to the BBWorld client on the devices.