Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

Reporting other apps

As part of testing my own app I've been browsing theBlackBerry World. What are you supposed to do whn you spot apps that are, let's be kind here, doubtful.

For example I just found an app with the specific  name of a public body, but when I looked further, it clearly was not that body, it was a collection of RSS feeds and it wanted an awful lot of privilege for an RSS reader.

I looked for a "report" button on BlackBerry world, but I couldn't see one. I assume there is a mechanism tho?

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Re: Reporting other apps

Don't bother reporting it unless you're the owner of whatever's being infringed.  Otherwise, based on past experiences, they will do nothing, even if it's a blatant violation that's affecting your income.   All pleas will be thrown out unless you're the owner of what's being violated.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

This is what you get when someone pays people to "write any app". I think the app you mention would have been generated using app generator, so the privileges being asked would be default for all apps created by the app generator :-)

The newest list is nowdays filled with **bleep** like people's personal facebook, twitter and what not feeds all generated by the app generator to get $100. You'll need to accept that such bogus apps will be around for a few more days.

Also, there is no need to be angry with RIM. They need the numbers to show because that is what media quotes when comparing the availabiltiy of apps on a particular platform.

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

Hi adwiv,

Actually I'm not as angry as I should be, and nor are you. The problem with crud in the app store is that customers are going to dowload it, hate the platform, and leave. Then all the time, effort, and money we have put into app development for BB10 will go the way of Symbian.

I know the pressure is on BB to hit headline targets, but wrecking the brand to do it is just silly.

Quality does matter.

What makes it doubly hard to swallow is that the stuff gets approved when real, uself, rule-following apps are stuck awaiting review in the Elevator of Despair... My own included. One out on sale, one stuck in the elevator (and sent for review first).

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Crud is on every platform, and every platform has recklessly opened the gates at the beginning to fill the store.  Apple did it too, then after their store and platform were a big success they became more picky.