Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Q10 SQN100-3
My Carrier: Factory Unlocked
Accepted Solution

Requesting read_phonecall_details permission

Hey,

I contacted Vendor support to request read_phonecall_details permission for my account and they redirected me to this subforum in order to someone from Developer Relations to contact me. Please let me know what I can do to gain access to that permission for my app.

Regards,

Daniel

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Requesting read_phonecall_details permission

Have you tried the permissions form...

https://developer.blackberry.com/jam/headless/

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Developer

That's for headless and hub integration only.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

I got the same email reponse.

Like what the heck.  I got angry at the support reply beause I need answer from BB and not get help from forum.  The support person said BB people monitors the forum regularly.

WTF.  Isn't there any people working at BB to handle our requests?  I should not have to post a message.

Developer

This is the form all permission links in the documentation points to. AFAIK there is no other.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

New Developer

But the form only has those two options
New Developer

its kinda ridiculous anyway to request a permission to be able to test my app... they thoroughly review my app before letting it on BBW thats fine, but if they want app developers they cant just waste a whole week of their life to get a permission no other platform requires... or they should at least let all permissions to work on phones/simulators that has the same debug token as the application so they can finish the app and get permission before putting it on bbw

Developer

Plan ahead. Smiley Happy

There are other ways of distributing apps, so not linking these permissions to your id would be worthless.

BlackBerry try and differentiate themselves on Security and thinking about their platform from a business user perspective.
You can do these things on other platforms but then you can also easily download apps that make expensive phone calls to premium rate lines without the user knowing, plant viruses and think they have a right to pop themselves up in the foreground when I am making a presentation.

So you may think it's ridiculous I happen to think it's what makes the BlackBerry 10 UIX better.

New Developer

[ Edited ]

right cause you can easily install any .bar files without having to sideload it manually from your pc... i disagree with your reasoning. the app is thoroughly reviewed anyway upon submission, so why does it matter whether i can at least test my OWN APP on my OWN PHONE? you could just let the app do whatever it requests access for if the debug token installed on the device is the same as the one used to sign the app. if you made yourself an app to make premium phone calls in the background thats pretty much your own problem, it wouldnt make it into bbw nor anyone would be able to use it with access to the .bar file

security through obscurity..

Developer

Not security but tighter control.

Security is a different issue that Android for one is only now looking at implementing in a very similar fashion to the way BB10 handles it.

The fact that I haven't heard of any Native apps that violate the points made above shows that the current mechanism works while other platforms are rife.

Sure there may be ways to make it more convenient than 'waiting a week' to get the permission but that's the way it currently works and I for one think it's working.

So let's agree to disagree. Smiley Happy