Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Sandbox testing - 3 questions

I am readying my first app for release and using the sandbox mode to test in-app purchases before submitting anything for approval. I have three questions that are bugging me:

1. Why does it take at least 24 hours for a new draft release to be available to download with BlackBerry World Development Mode? I can understand if an app is submitted for approval since it has to be looked at by a person, but draft releases can only be downloaded by sandbox members. They should be available as soon as they are uploaded. Every time I tweak something and upload a new draft release I have to wait at least a day before I can test it.
  2. Why can we not delete unsubmitted draft releases? Again, I understand that once released into the wild all earlier releases must remain so people changing devices can redownload the last version they had on their old device, but again, draft releases don't need this, so why can't we remove them? I already have six test releases under my product and I haven't event submitted it yet.
  3. When I test my app with BB World Development mode, the app I download only seems to run if launched from BB World. If I try to run it from the icon it won't start. Is this normal? I'd hate to submit my app and then find it doesn't run when real users download it.

Anybody have any insights? Thanks.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Sandbox testing - 3 questions

1. The 24h delay doesn't involve humans reviewing it. The human review ("vetting") usually takes longer than that in any case. The "up to 24h" thing is just time for the files to be pushed out to all the servers (there's more than one) and for caches to be updated, etc.

It is of course possible for them to improve this setup and make it possible for draft apps to appear immediately or at least much quicker, but no doubt that's the sort of thing they're working on improving and can't just do overnight (no pun intended).

2. No idea, but I suspect the response "legacy issues" covers almost any such question you may have. Obviously there's no *inherent* reason why almost any particular improvement could not be implemented, eventually, with sufficient resources and motivation. If it's unreleased, however, can't you just update the attached .bar file repeatedly, without making a new release? (I haven't tried that... just thought it would be possible though.)

3. What's "BB World Development mode" refer to here? The vendor portal has no "development mode" aside from the sandbox. The BB World app provides an extra menu in the settings when you have development mode enabled on your device, but that development mode is for more than just BB World. Can you clarify what you mean?

I would say, however, that if the same .bar file can be installed (sideloaded) and runs, then it will run when someone installs it from BBWorld as well. Anything to the contrary would be an extremely rare situation, from my experience here in the last several years.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

1. Ok, multiple servers and caches makes sense.

2. Don't know why I didn't think of this. I didn't even realize you could change the bar files once uploaded. I just went in and checked and you can indeed modify the packages belonging to a release. Looks like I have a bunch of draft releases on there I didn't need to create. Thanks big for this suggestion. Wish there was better getting started info and tutorials for new app vendors. I've pretty much had to figure the process out by forum browsing and trial and error. Maybe once I get this whole thing figured out I'll post a tutorial myself so other have an easier time of it than I have.

3. What I mean is that to do the sandbox test you choose "Development Mode" from the BlackBerry World app menu on the device, enter your product ID, and download the sandboxed app. Once the download is done the button changes from "Download" to "Open", which runs the app. What I find though is that this Open button seems to be the ONLY way to execute the app you downloaded. Simply clicking on the app icon on the desktop doesn't work, it just starts to load the app for a second but then closes it without even seeing the splash screen. It appears this may be by design, but I just want to make sure this is normal behaviour for all app developers doing sandbox testing, and not just something wrong with my app.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Interesting about that Development Mode menu and not being able to run from the icon. I haven't heard that before, but don't have anything to contribute on this as I haven't used the sandbox testing feature yet. I'd say you should definitely be concerned about whether this is something wrong with the app, at least until someone else can give you more input. If I saw that happening I wouldn't release my app as-is until I had an answer.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

greenmr wrote:

3. What I mean is that to do the sandbox test you choose "Development Mode" from the BlackBerry World app menu on the device, enter your product ID, and download the sandboxed app. Once the download is done the button changes from "Download" to "Open", which runs the app. What I find though is that this Open button seems to be the ONLY way to execute the app you downloaded. Simply clicking on the app icon on the desktop doesn't work, it just starts to load the app for a second but then closes it without even seeing the splash screen. It appears this may be by design, but I just want to make sure this is normal behaviour for all app developers doing sandbox testing, and not just something wrong with my app.

Does this happen for all your test users, or only some? Does uninstall and reinstall help?

There was an issue with some early versions of BB10 that unfortunately still exist in the wild. It sounds similar, but I don't think we ever tried running the app from BBW.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands