Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Screenshots for PlayBook

Does anyone know what size is the correct size to upload screenshots for PlayBook OS 2.0 so they look proper.>

If I look at the Monopoly screenshots they look full size in the landscape box.  

I have tried rectanges and squares and both times they get resized to portrait.  

I do have other screenshots in portrait mode for regular smartphones, which I didn't think should cause any issues.

Thank for any suggestions.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Screenshots for PlayBook

In principle, I believe any size should be scaled to fit in the space available while maintaining the aspect ratio of the image.

Originally this was how it worked. My PB screenshots were 640x375 for the landscape shots, and 357x640 for the portrait shots, and both looked fine.

With the 2.0 update, they broke things, and at the moment I don't think anyone should draw conclusions about what works and what doesn't. They have made changes, which they say are still propagating through the system and which, I think, will also be delivered with 2.0.1 which is imminent.

Until then, I think we sit and suffer patiently since anything you change is likely to be wrong once the fixes propagate through...

(If you're looking solely for a short-term patch, there may be something better than my advice, but I'm personally not interested in that so I haven't thought it through.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Thanks and that is what i inferred from reading thru the forums...but what doesn't make sense is how the screenshots for Monopoly and Angry Birds look good.....what did they do that we didn't?  If it is really broken then those apps would be broken too...so I think they know something that we don't.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
Developer

Okay, well, check Battery Guru as well. I think mine look the same as Monopoly and Angry Birds, right?

They're just using 640x375 screenshots, same as mine.

They are scaled correctly, as are mine, but I had to take down my earlier 375x640 portrait mode shot since it was totally distorted.

There's also a thread about the compression artifacts.  While all three of the mentioned apps have images that scale correctly, they still look pretty crappy right now. 

I think fixing the compression problem it what's going to take up to 30 days (from about two weeks ago) to propagate through the system.

I suspect the scaling issue will be fixed in 2.0.1 in the client.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Battery Guru looks like a nice app....yours look great.  I had that size before but also had the portrait versions at the same time.  So if I go all landscape I should be ok?  Didn't think one image would affect the next.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
Developer

All landscape should work fine. I've heard of no troubles with it aside from the awful level of compression.

And I don't think one image affects the next in any way. The issue with the portrait mode image was simply, I believe, that they made a mistake in the latest client and blindly stretched images to fit in both dimensions rather than maintaining the aspect ratio of the original. Or something like that...

Developer

By the way, here's the other thread I mentioned: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Appworld-screenshots-on-Play...

Developer

Ok...thanks.  I put up more at 640x375 ... let's see what happens.

Steven Kader at JaredCo