Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Signature tools on NetBeans

Hi Shikha,

If I remember correctly, No I did not use add platform because I recall the plugin doing all the work.

No I never modified any of the project files to invoke the simulator.  

For project creation I did use Java ME category & Mobile Application.

I do remember not having the cod files created at one time. What I did was to create an alx file with the same name as the project name and placed it in the project folder. Here is the detail of the alx file I created.

<loader version="1.0">

<application id="FinanceCalcBlackberry">

<name >

Loan Calculator

</name>

<description >

Quickly calculate loans like mortagages, auto, credit cards.

</description>

<version >

</version>

<vendor >

Computer Time, CO.

</vendor>

<copyright >

Copyright (c) 2009 Computer Time, CO.

</copyright>

<fileset Java="1.25">

<directory >

</directory>

<files >

fincalcbb.cod

</files>

</fileset>

</application>

</loader>

Netbeans did not seem to use this file. It just started creating its own alx after that. In the end, I do not really know why it worked. 

Developer

Hey Thanks Cram.

NetBeans not working for me... guess will move to Eclipse now.

-Shikha

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

shikha,

Why don't you just use the JDE that RIM provides?  More people will be able to help you with any problems you will encounter if you use it.  You may not even have any problems at all...

Developer

I tried that as well. There are some issues with the .cod file it generates. It loads the application on simulator but when i try to run it says, a particular module not found. Also this cod file is much smaller in size than what i should be getting.

Then i looked into RIM help guide which says,

The compiler for the BlackBerry platform is designed for a constrained wireless environment to minimize the size of the application. The resulting .cod file provides a significant amount of obfuscation-like services similar to other true obfuscation packages in an effort to reduce the size of the .cod file itself. For example, the BlackBerry Integrated Development Environment removes the following information from a .cod file:

• all debug information
  • local variable names
  • source Line Numbers
  • private method and member names

As such, RIM does not provide any additional obfuscation for applications in addition to the existing obfuscation that the BlackBerry platform provides by default for all applications it compiles. In fact , RIM does not perform any additional obfuscation of its own products.

The BlackBerry Integrated Development Environment does not support third-party obfuscation tools. As such, you must use a command-line procedure to obfuscate .cod files for use on BlackBerry devices.

Did anyone else face this problem? How can we resolve it.

-Shikha

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

Shikha,

So are you saying that you cannot use the JDE to successfully develop and run applications on the simulator?  Did you just try with one app?  What about the samples?  Do they compile and run?  Did you try doing a clean and rebuilding?  I think you are better off using the JDE than any other generic IDE with plugins so I would spend some time trying to get it to work.