Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch
Accepted Solution

Signing a Java app

So I've got a Java app, it appears to work in my device, I made it accessible over OTA and gave away the link, I can see over 200 people have downloaded it and no one reported any problems - seems like I am ready to submit it to AppWorld.

One question remains: do I need to sign it? I vaguely remember reading here that I only need to sign an app which uses 'sensitive APIs' , however, I am unable to find a precise definition of that. Any chance someone can point me to any documentation which precisely explains what exactly needs to be signed?

My app is a Java game, I guess I don't use any BB-specific calls, I dont integrate with the device in any way. The only operation that , IMHO, has any chance to be 'sensitive'  (whatever that means) is that I open a network socket.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Signing a Java app

If the app works on a phone without signing, then you don't need to sign it at all. Apps which use specific BlackBerry API won't work on a real device without signing, but it seems that your app is not using any RIM APIs

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry