Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Single & Pool license key implementation

I am getting ready to submit my first app, but I dont have any licensing key code implemented yet. I'm considering starting out with either Single or Pool methods, so I dont have to build a 100% available key generation server at this time or pay for a third-party service. I have read http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=appworld_dev&thread.id=17 and I still these questions about Single & Pool:

1. From what I gather, the onus is on each developer to build the code to ask the user for the license key, validate it and unlock the app? Is there any code available for that in the public domain, or can someone share it?

2.  In the case of Single, will App World embed that single key automatically into the app such that the CodeModuleGroup.load("My App").getProperty("RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY") will return that key, and the app can compare that to a hardcoded value? Is that how it is supposed to work or does the user receive the key from RIM somehow and then puts it into the app manually?

3. How does Pool licensing really work in terms of implementation? Do we supply a pool of values to RIM while submitting the app? How does the user get the key? We validate it against a web server that maintains the static pool? If we have to supply to RIM ahead of time, is there a limit on the number of keys in the pool? 

4. I assume keys within a pool can be re-used/shared by mutliple users, unknown to them? i.e. 10K users can be supported by 10 keys?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

Jay

New Developer

Re: Single & Pool license key implementation

Thanks for asking this/.these questions,...

You have outline the same questions I have with respect to licensing.

Did you get an answer or find any additional reference material?

Thanks in advance for any info

New Developer

Here is what I have found about each of these questions since I first posted them:

>>1. From what I gather, the onus is on each developer to build the code to ask the user for the license key, validate it and unlock the app? Is there any code available for that in the public domain, or can someone share it?

Yes the onus is on the developer, and I could not find any code.  So I built my own. Seems like a waste, maybe an opportunity for someone.

>>2.  In the case of Single, will App World embed that single key automatically into the app such that the CodeModuleGroup.load("My App").getProperty("RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY") will return that key, and the app can compare that to a hardcoded value? Is that how it is supposed to work or does the user receive the key from RIM somehow and then puts it into the app manually?

From what I understand, the user receives the key. I am not sure if it comes in an email or is displayed to him on a screen within Appworld. It does not appear to be embedded in a way that the API returns it.

>>3. How does Pool licensing really work in terms of implementation? Do we supply a pool of values to RIM while submitting the app? How does the user get the key? We validate it against a web server that maintains the static pool? If we have to supply to RIM ahead of time, is there a limit on the number of keys in the pool? 

The developer supplies a pool of values, upto 1000 at a time. RIM hands it out to user one at a time. When the pool runs low, RIM will contact the developer for more keys. 

>>4. I assume keys within a pool can be re-used/shared by mutliple users, unknown to them? i.e. 10K users can be supported by 10 keys?

No. Each user can gets a differnt key.

------ 

Also you may want to check out my othe rpost in which I summarized from learnings from my first app submission:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=appworld_dev&message.id=333#M333

Hope this helps

Jay 

New Developer

Your post is pretty old, so I'm not counting on a reply but one never knows!

I want to use the pool method but can not get an answer to waht I thought would be an easy question..

With a pooled license key, will the user still be able to copy the application to another phone?   I'm just not sure what this license method actually gives us.

Hope you can help

New Developer

Because you are providing RIM with the pool of license keys, it is up to your code to validate

the key.  I never really understood the pool concept, because if I understand it correctly,

once someone has one of the keys, they can give it to all their  friends and yes, use it when

they get a new phone. 

What I did was use the single license and wrote a small php script to

generate a license key based on a PIN number.  My app code then uses the phones PIN

number as the seed to validate so the key can only be used on that phone.  I have received several

requests for new license keys because of phone upgrades/replacements, but I think

it's worth it.  My guess, if the app is worth it and cheap enough, most people will just buy it again

when they get a new phone.

Hope this helpls...

New Developer

Yes pool or static both have the disadvantage that multiple copies of the app can use the same key UNLESS you are registering the first user of a key on your web service and validate evry new registration against this database in the cloud.

As far as people upgrading to new phones, what I have found is that people expect to use the same app for free on the new phone. Most 3rd-party stores allow this and usually limit a user to say 2 or 3 device upgrades per purchase.  If you add many features in a newer version and want people to pay to upgrade to that version, again most 3rd party stores support defining upgrade paths with associated fees, but AFAIK on BB app world once you buy it, you never have to pay again, unless the key enforcement in the app forces you.

Contributor
My Device: DevAlpha
My Carrier: HR VIP

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

This thread is so old, but looks like the situation is still the same. We have implemented pool model for our inapp payments, with "automatic blacklisting" ie key becomes invalid after first use.

We want to use  paymentservice_get_existing_purchases_request to to enable our users to have more than one device. Noe, we are stuck beacuse it is not possible to check if this works in sandbox and we don't know the following:

In response to paymentservice_get_existing_purchases_request do user get the same key she/he used to purchase the item or the new key from the pool?