Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: 342234
My Carrier: 33242342

Single license model

[ Edited ]

key license model, what is the best way to prevent fraude? I mean if someone buys my app and I am going by the single model, can't they have their mom or dad download the same app and use the same serial key?

Isn't there a way around this and still be able to use the single model? Is it possible to use various keys for the single model?

The only other possibility I see in this is to just change the key every once in a while, but I am looking for other solutions.

Thank you very much.

New Contributor

Re: Single license model

Long story short - you have several options:

1) If you use the try&buy model without own license mechanism - you need to provide two binares, one trial and one full version, App World will handle the rest. However (as per many thread in this forums) this approach is sometimes buggy and often leads to angry customers

2) You can use your own license mechanism, but then you need to implement license key validation in your app. In this case you need to provide a single binary, which is actually the trial version. Once the user purchase the app, he/she receives registration key, enters the key in the app, and the app validates the key.

2.1) Static key - one single key for all app downloads

2.2) dynamic licensing - app key is based on device PIN (and other stuff), you need an own server to send the key to App World

3) In-app purchase - you need to release a single binary with a limited (basic) functionality or time limited full version. Once the user purchases the app, he/she gets the full functionality unlocked. Payment is handled by App World

Choose an option :smileyhappy:

^^^^^^^^

could someone elaborate on number 2? is it possible to use your own license mechanism? Cause this way I can make several license keys and won't have to depend on to have to use a single one.

Help is appreciated.

New Contributor

Help would be appreciated!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Apparently, try&buy has gone away without any kind of notification from RIM. Your only choice now seems to be #2.
New Contributor

hi jtegen,

thanks for replying! hmm......that's very unfortunate, so it's impossible to present a trial version to the public now?

could you elaborate on how to use the single license key mode but prevent fraud the best way possible, is it possible to use a variety of keys with the single model?

Developer

Unless RIM reverse this quickly and then provide a migration path to provide trial versions, this will greatly decrease overal sales for us. We have found the try and buy increases overall sales. With a viable solution that actually works (in-app purchases buggy), it seems to be another example of RIM out of step of the needs of the developers.

We have not used a license model yet that involves keys. There are lots of discussions in the App World forum on this. The whole thing with keys is that you need to map the key with the BBID. Dynamic license server would then be required to maintain and periodically check if both are valid.
New Contributor

The whole thing with keys is that you need to map the key with the BBID.

not with the single license key model, there is no additional BB info or e-mail required for anything, it just uses a single pin that every end user can use. I just wanna know how much further this method can be expanded, single license is marginally secured but once someone else knows the key it basically is leaked. I would like to know someone's experience with the single license model and what the possibilities are to expand this feature and use just more than a single key like the name says...I'm getting the feeling there isn't.

The thing is I wanna custom provide the keys to my end users, I don't want RIM to be a part of this, at all. And I don't wanna make use of the dynamic code licensing model, I want to strictly use the single license model!

Help is very much appreciated.

Developer

Not certain if you can have a strict use of a single key without having it mapped to the BBID. As you mentioned, once it is leaked, then anyone can use it. The only way to enforce it is to either have it mapped to BBID with remote checks or generate the key based on some hash of the devid, BBID, or user's email address. A hashed key can encode the app, version, and features as well.

For example. Create a string the contains appname+version+features+userid and create a hash from it. Then check the key at runtime:

http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10, Onyx2
My Carrier: IND XL

i suggest better using dynamic license. by using single license model the serial was easily leak. if you dont wanna use a server to manage the key. you can manually generate it. then mail the key to the customer.
since the user that buy from appworld will provide email.

but i prefer using online activation..
its more secure if you know what i mean Smiley Happy