Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Slowdown in sales.

cwong15 wrote:

RIM's methods are a mystery to me, and always take me by surprise. 

There is something else I noticed recently that affects distribution. Specifically, I noticed that all my apps were supported in all countries except: Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar and UAE. That was strange, because I had never limited my apps' distribution. I quickly changed the distribution (the Distribution tab) to "all countries".

A new app that I recently submitted for approval shows "all countries", as it should be. I don't know why some of my old apps should be so restricted. Anyway, in addition to your supported devices list I suggest you also check your supported countries list. 

Thanks! I noticed the same  but I thought that it is because of some licensing or political issues with those countries. It seems that RIM added the new countries recently. Btw when I change the list to "All countries" new change request ticket is created for every app, is this an expected behavior?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

sblantipodi wrote:

ok it tooked three days before seeing all the supported devices correctly listed.

can't understood why I need to manually add devices now.

is there a way to be informed on when should I add new devices?

It seems the only way to be informed about changes is to rely on other developers. I have updated this topic

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Changes-in-vendor-portal-aga...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Since four year of mobile development this is the worst period ever for sellings.

It seems that all our users moved to iphone and android, we do not develop on iphone yet and android users generally prefer to pirate the software.

Where is the good old blackberry users? We miss them.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

sblantipodi wrote:

Since four year of mobile development this is the worst period ever for sellings.

It seems that all our users moved to iphone and android, we do not develop on iphone yet and android users generally prefer to pirate the software.

Where is the good old blackberry users? We miss them.

You know what they say.  all good things will come to an end eventually.  Just like when I was developing for the PalmOS.  It was good while it lasted. If RIM follows the PalmOS than that is a bigger problem.

Developer

If RIM follows the PalmOS than that is a bigger problem.

I think that our drop in sales is directly related with the RIM sales drop.

Developer
My Device: storm 2

[ Edited ]

In the last week, my sales have plumetted by around 40%.  I have over 20 apps so this is not related to poor performance of just one app.  

I've also changed all the country+device sections like people suggested without any luck.

Developer

sblantipodi wrote:

Hi,

am I the only one who noticed a slow down in sales in the last two months?

My sellings dropped by 50%.

thanks for sharing your experience, this adds some more data to my thesis.

Developer

It's just the summer. If you dig old threads an year back you will see the same comments - significant sales drop in summer months.

I'd suggest to take a long vacation, learn new things, experiment with new technologies... and when September comes collect the big revenue again Smiley Happy

Developer

QuiteSimple wrote:

It's just the summer. If you dig old threads an year back you will see the same comments - significant sales drop in summer months.

I'd suggest to take a long vacation, learn new things, experiment with new technologies... and when September comes collect the big revenue again Smiley Happy

never experienced this problem in Summer, a small drop ok but not as big as this.

blackberry isn't selling enough, users switched to other platforms and android is a cancer for payed software.

Developer

Your Android experience is interesting. Considering that it is such an app-focused platform, one would think you would be able to make some money off it. Are ad-supported apps more viable there?

I think it is understandable that BB apps are not selling that well now. In addition to the summer doldrums, we also have not had a significant new phone in a while. My experience is that newly released phones comprise a disproportionate part of app sales. New owners want to start loading up with apps, I guess. One vendor told me that about half of his BB sales went to the Storm, when it was still new. I know it is frustrating in the short term, but new BB devices will be here by end of summer, and you should see sales pick up in the fall.