Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3

Re: Someone uploaded my app without my consent. What can I do?

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. It really doesn't seem like a healthy practice to me. At least individual groups having to port their own apps acts as a minor discouragement to the rubbish getting through. I just wanted to know if this is being done "above board" or not.
-------
You can find me (sporadically) writing and developing at http://floor4.co.uk and gaming at http://uk-tf.co.uk
My Apps: Flip!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Every single developer with Handster, under that agreement, has full control over terminating the agreement any time they feel like it. None should be complaining, since this sort of thing is exactly what they signed up for. They're even making their usual share from the deal in the case of non-free apps.

By the way, I don't know Handster from a hole in the ground, so don't think I'm defending (or attacking) them in any way.  I just got interested enough a while ago to read the agreement, found it rather shocking from my own point of view, realized there may be many developers who are more than happy with an arrangement like that, and moved on.

It's just a contract... read the fine print and all that.  Any developer who's unhappy not only has no grounds to complain, but also has a perfectly good option right there waiting for them to hit the Enter key.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

If this happens to me, I'll file a DMCA take-down request immediately, then take the "developer" to small-claims court. Even if it's a minor, the legal guardian must be guilty of negligence or accessory to fraud.

If you submit apps to Handango, the agreement with them also gives them the right to sell it through other channels.  They upload the apps to CNET, but in my experience I did not get paid for those sales -- customers paid, but as far as I could tell Handango just kept the money, so I pulled everything out of Handango long ago.  Too bad about the lost money, it was significant, but you've got to have some self-respect.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

From AppWorld FAQ:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/appworld/faq.jsp

Can I make a complaint that an app on the BlackBerry App World™ storefront is infringing my intellectual property?
All complaints must be clearly stated in writing and can be sent to legal@rim.com. Please use the subject line 'BLACKBERRY APP WORLD COMPLAINT' and clearly identify (a) the app in dispute and (b) your IP rights including particulars of any IP registrations.

But I guess Alec Sanders can/will sort this out.

As for Handster - I got the impressions that in some cases Handster published apps from developers, who never submitted their apps to Handster and never agreed to T&C. I can imagine that this is easily to achieve especially for free apps.

An year ago for example I discovered one of my popular free apps in Handango, although the app was released only in AppWorld...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Sometimes it's entertaining to surf the web and see how people are pirating your stuff... in China.

Smiley Very Happy

New Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am the person who submitted the app to AppWorld.
I would like to express my most sincere appologies to you for all the trouble I have caused you. I immediately removed the app after reading your email.

I have not received a Playbook, in fact I have contacted the company responsible for shipping them to get their help in sorting this out and am awaiting their reply. And should I receive a PlayBook that I do not deserve I will be needing to send it to you.

I also want to thank you for the kindness you have given me by not posting my real name, and am hoping you can extend this great mercy onto me as I will do whatever I can within my power to set this right.

I can not in words express how sorry I am for what I have done. Since receiving you email I have been quite saddened at the thought of what I have done and am quite literally crying onto my keyboard as I write this post.

Also I would like to ask if we can keep and open means of communication via email to work through this mess I have caused.

Sincerely,

An apologetic and terribly fearful fan.

EDIT: I did not make the post on the CrackBerry forums, but will be posting there later once I arrive from school to tell what I have done and inform them your version will be online soon.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

20lgcu wrote:

Hello,

I am the person who submitted the app to AppWorld.
I would like to express my most sincere appologies to you for all the trouble I have caused you. I immediately removed the app after reading your email.

I have not received a Playbook, in fact I have contacted the company responsible for shipping them to get their help in sorting this out and am awaiting their reply. And should I receive a PlayBook that I do not deserve I will be needing to send it to you.

I also want to thank you for the kindness you have given me by not posting my real name, and am hoping you can extend this great mercy onto me as I will do whatever I can within my power to set this right.

I can not in words express how sorry I am for what I have done. Since receiving you email I have been quite saddened at the thought of what I have done and am quite literally crying onto my keyboard as I write this post.

Also I would like to ask if we can keep and open means of communication via email to work through this mess I have caused.

Sincerely,

An apologetic and terribly fearful fan.

EDIT: I did not make the post on the CrackBerry forums, but will be posting there latter once I arrive from shcool to tell what I have done and inform them your version will be online soon.

is this a joke?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3

I'm kind of hoping it's sincere. Very possibly an innocent mistake by a kid who didn't understand the implication of what he was doing. I'd hope it's a good learning experience for him and won't dissuade him from trying out some app development of his own.
-------
You can find me (sporadically) writing and developing at http://floor4.co.uk and gaming at http://uk-tf.co.uk
My Apps: Flip!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800 & PlayBook

Well, is the app still available in stores or not?

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I just checked, as of March 2 there is no app in the app world called Pocket Manga.  You can still find a search listing for it in Google, but it runs to a dead link.

Applause to the developer for handling this with maturity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Like this post if you like it!
"Developer of apps. Consumer of humus."