Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Supporting multiple devices (PlayBook/BB10) under 1 app name

I have an existing PlayBook game available in BlackBerry World... all the descriptions, screenshots etc. are designed for the PlayBook.

Now I've made a BB10 version of the game, that I'd like to submit under the same application name... since it is the same app, just for a different device.

Can I do this?... and if so what is the process?

I was going to try to upload a new "release" to my existing product but feared that it might bump the existing PlayBook app out or complain about version numbers etc. (basically it isn't clear and I'm fearing the worst just in case)

If this isn't possible... what is everyone else doing?... I hated the apps named "Blah blah for BlackBerry PlayBook" as it seems like such verbal overkill... so I don't want to make "Blah blah for BB10" either (in fact I'm not even sure if this style of naming is allowed.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Supporting multiple devices (PlayBook/BB10) under 1 app name

You can upload a new bundle under the same product, and it won't affect the PlayBook. Just be sure not to select the PlayBook as one of the supported devices when you do so.

The metadata (e.g. description etc) can mostly be set up separately for BB10 now, if you check the vendor portal. There's a default, then platform-specific variants if you want.

The BB World client in the Dev Alpha won't currently show the screenshots or description from the BB10 version though, but that stuff is expected any day now. Again, shouldn't affect the PlayBook, though there's certainly stuff changing and... well, always a risk I guess.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!