Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Switching from PAID to FREE

I'm thinking of switching my PAID app to free as a promotion for a short period of time. Have any of you done this before and did you find it helped? I think it would generate more reviews which is great for the app, and may help once the promotion is over and is switched back to PAID.

Is this something that makes sense to do? I don't want to piss off existing customers, although I doubt they would even notice it went to free for a bit since they aren't checking the app all the time in app world.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Switching from PAID to FREE

As far as many of us understand this, any customers who install it while it's free will not be able to reinstall it (should they delete it) once you've restored the non-free status. Depending on how you communicate this to them, you may get some annoyed potential customers.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

But they can receive upgrades for it, correct?
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Don't do this. Educational thread here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Paid-upgrade-disaster/td-p/1...

Just for your reference: when my app was free it received 50 positive reviews for 3 months. After switching it to paid I got 20 negative reviews in two weeks... It's not worth the hassle.

You can consider other options though: for example release a free trial version as a different app and point to your current paid version as possible upgrade.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry