Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: 2010 - Bold
My Carrier: Vodafone In

Third party application version updation scheme

Hi,

Can someone specify the application version updation scheme used by Blackberry. Are they use J2ME versioning scheme describe at here

On Blackberry App World, they accept application with the version like 1.0.0.1.2.65000. So, I want to know that is there any limitation with dot(.) Further, are all the part(separated by dot) of a version string will be cosidered in comparison while check for application update?

Is there any document from RIM that specify the versioning scheme for third party application?

Thanks for helping me in advance.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Third party application version updation scheme

The version should be in the format of #.#.#.#.  You can use less that 4 digits if you like.  Each . value should be a complete number.  Versions take the full number into account.  

Here is an example with oldest version listed on top, continuing to most recent version.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor
My Device: 2010 - Bold
My Carrier: Vodafone In

Re: Third party application version updation scheme

Hi Sohm,

Thanks for your help. I have some confusions.

Each . value should be a complete number, so what is the range of this number? Is it an integer or short integer or anything else?

Further can I choose a signle number as my application version i.e. number without any dot(.) ?

In app store vendor portal, at the time of "Add release" of any application, if we provide version number which contains more than four parts(like xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx) then it'll get changed on click of "Save" button. So, the questoin is what conversion scheme RIM has applied there.

- Janak.