Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

This is just crazy

Untitled-4.png

I know you're not suposed to bite the hand that feeds you but waiting 2+ months for 2 diffrent apps to be approved is just nuts. I'm not sure what their review process consists of but some apps get approved in 5-7 days while others just sit and pend forever. I've tried contacting them 3 times over the past 2 months and I have yet to recieve an email back from them.

Has anyone else experenced this kind of wait time?

New Developer

Re: This is just crazy

We did not have to wait 2 months but I can find no reason as to the different amounts of time it takes to get one app approved over any other. I think maybe RIM just has an insuficient number of staff assigned to perform application reviews. They will need to become more competititve though since I think the carriers like Verizon etc. will soon try to place their own app store before the BlackBerry app store. Furthermore, I think Droid will not take long to catch up to BB marketshare.

Developer

[ Edited ]

The process for review is described in the BlackBerry knowledge centre accessible from the resources page. Apparently a fair amount of testing is required before release.

Verizon etc already had their own app stores. My guess is they also make far more cash out of RIM than anyone else, because RIM's data compression means their bandwidth is more effectively utilized when serving data to BlackBerrys (around 10 times as much for BlackBerry as iPhone for example).

Because they're already integrated tightly into the carriers network  RIM's infrastructure is significantly more powerful than Android (or iPhone for that matter), and are far more secure than just about any other device. And that's in every carrier - I think I read the count is 400 world wide.

Despite what many in North America think, Nokia is still the market leader - with 39% of the smart phone market according to Gartner. Don't be fooled by the PR - other devices still have a long long way to go in an enterprise setting to catch up to RIM.

I work with a company providing applications for enterprise for both iPhone and BlackBerry. One of our clients has around 16000 BlackBerrys and 1000 iPhones. The 1000 iPhones cost far more to administer and develop for than do the 16000 BlackBerrys.

The frustrating thing for those of us that operate in the BlackBerry realm is that the everything seems to be "almost there" and never quite "there". I imagine some group or other at RIM is completely overloaded trying to test all these apps. Clearly RIM hasn't invested enough (yet) in App World, but maybe they've just been taken by surprise as to it's success with developers after all, it's not exactly a major revenue stream for them.

One thing is certain, I love developing for the device. Are other devices as powerful as BlackBerry?

Every day brings new discoveries of just how integrated our apps can be with the device. Todays discovery was HTTP filters. I'll be using the feature shortly.

I think RIM will get there - and then some - I'm just not sure how long it will take.

Developer

The part that bugs me though is I've had those apps pending for months, but I uploaded a new app a few weeks ago and it's already been approved. It seems like there is a big list of pending apps and they just pick randomly from the list.

Developer

That is bizarre.

Could you rebrand the apps and resubmit - after first removing the originals?

Highlighted
New Developer
My Carrier: o2 UK

Could you please let us have some dates, to give us a better idea how long these things take?

I wonder if it's more complex apps that take longer for RIM's QA to approve, or if there's some other legitimate factor causing the delay, rather than picking randomly from a list what they'd like to test next?