Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

My Device: Paper cup

Time to subdivide Utilities / Utilities category?

Store category Utilities/Utilities is now over 1000 products, could it be subdivided please?

Currently there are just a few subdivisions of Utilities:

- Calculators (262)

- Clocks (192)

- Voice Dictation (13)

- Phone Services (313)

- Utilities (1004)

There are several other common and popular categories that have grown over the years, such as:

- Launchers

- System Utilities (i.e. memory, battery, signal, quickpull, process viewer, remote device access)

- Lights (i.e. flashlights, cop lights, emergency flashers, disco lights)

- Notifications (i.e. LED, vibes, message previews)

- Data Management (i.e. zip creator/extractor, contact management, app-card offloader)

- Security (i.e. app locker, secure delete, remote media card eraser)

- User Interface (i.e. fancy characters, additions to system menus, slide lock screen)

- Readers (not just eBooks, i.e. PDF, special formats)

- Audio (i.e. ringtone creator, MP3 editor)

- Graphics (i.e. screenshot, custom icons)

and that's just from a quick scan through some of the stuff in Utilities/Utilities.  There's more.

It would make it a lot more interesting for the customers to browse the store this way, rather than just 1004 miscellaneous Utilities.

My Device: Paper cup

Re: Time to subdivide Utilities / Utilities category?

You know, I don't want to mis-categorize apps, but since having it in Utilities/Utilities is almost as bad as having it nowhere, I've moved some things to other miscellaneous categories like Productivity/Productivity.  I see that many other vendors have done the same.  Some utilities are even in Entertainment/Gadgets just to get exposure.

Have you ever walked into a first-rate store and seen 90% of the hardware section in just a big random heap instead of organized?  It would get frustrating trying to browse through that to see what's there.