Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Re: Try and buy - still broken

I sent an email to support as well.  I got an automated response saying to go to some vendor support page that was a dead end.  I couldn't figure out how to report the problem other than to echo my complaint on the forums.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Try and buy

I've been having the problem also, it's simply this -- Everyone is getting whatever release has the Highest Version Number, the system seems to be completely ignoring the "is this a trial version?" flag except for when deciding whether to allow trial downloading or not.  It should give the highest-available trial version for anyone downloading a trial, or the highest-available non-trial version for anyone who paid or is upgrading.  Instead, it's ignoring the flag.

So right now people are buying and receiving only a trial version for their money, and a lot more people are trying to upgrade and getting the trial version.

What I don't understand is why the system can't simply have a trial and full version of the same release.  My latest release is 1.2.0, so I tried to create a 1.2.0 trial also and it said the version number has to be unique.  So I rebuilt a special trial version just for App World, and called it 1.2.0.88.  Now everyone is getting the trial version.  What was I supposed to do here?  If I called the trial 1.1.9 or something, that would make no sense because it would seem like a trial of release 1.1, but it's not, it's a trial of release 1.2.  It would be ridiculous to have to rebuild the main version with a higher number just to get a trial to work on App World, and then have to update also on 3 other sites to avoid confusion with the version numbers.

IMO it's a messed-up system and I'm not going to be offering any more trials on App World.  My app was selling at least 10 units a day, and since I put the trial version out there, I'm down to 0 - 2 a day, but there's a huge amount of free downloading going on.  

It's also a problem that we have no direct control over our products to handle customer issues, and the customers can't find a store support link, and when I submit the support request it takes a long time to get answered.  We can't look up a customer account or nix the trial version.  Support e-mails come in like, "Help me!  It doesn't work!" and there's no information on what store it's from or what product. You can't look the customer up to see if it's a real customer asking for support or just someone who pirated your software.

Developer

Also, if this has been a known problem for months, does anyone else feel that for $200 we should have been warned with a message on the screen or an e-mail to avoid falling into this trap?  Better yet, disable the Try & Buy option until the problem is fully solved.

How hard can it be for a company like RIM to distinguish whether a release has the trial box checked or not ???

Developer

I have the same problem.  People email me saying

"App won't download, please help"

Aside from the fact that I don't control or run the App World, I have no idea which application they are referring to or if I have received money from them.  It's very frustrating.

Earl

Earl Oliver
New Developer

Is the "Try and Buy" problem fixed?

If fixed one more question,

we already have an application for sale in free license mode, but want to change it to Try and buy. For making it try and buy we need to upload a new cod file. Also we havefixed one bug and want release new version. Now the question is all these cod submission will be treated as one or more? As bb has restriction of number of submissions.

New Developer

Does anyone know if this problem is fixed yet???????

I have a new app that is to go out using Try and Buy. But if it doesn't work, I will have to rethink it.

Thanks.

Developer

No, it's not fixed.  It's still a big mess.  I am still not able to upgrade to my own application that was setup using Try-buy.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer

I ended up creating a separate product, App Name - Trial, and what happened?   Some users apparently thought it was something they could use effectively for free, and didn't seem to realize it was a trial of a separate listing.  It got reviewed like "c**p -- stops working after a while" despite messages about being a trial.  So I pulled it and have just given up altogether on offering trials, it's $3 not $50 or $500.  Would be nice if we could put a link to a demo video like on MobiHand.

Developer

Yeah, I can see that happening.  

I'm really disappointed about RIM's lack of response on this issue.  storefrontmanager@rim.com bounces emails back with no response.  I'd be happy just to know that somebody is looking into the issue.

A bug of this magnitude would never happen in Apple's store.  It would be headline news and fixed overnight.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer

I guess we should be happy to have any store at all, I'm new to the scene but if I heard right, a year ago there was just what, Handango? Smiley Very Happy   But really, how hard is this.  Just add an if statment at the top of the loop when searching for what to send the customer... if (request.fortrial != release[i].istrial) continue;  and it would ignore the inappropriate releases.

I wonder how much difference it makes in general to offer a trial vs not.  Those who have been at this for a while, what have you found, please?  A big deal, helps a little, or no big loss?