Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Re: Try and buy

Thanks Chris! 

I still haven't heard back from RIM, but I'm glad they are aware of the problem.  

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Update as of May 22nd: received an email from RIM saying that their developers are investigating. In the meantime, I have been advised to pull my affected products from the marketplace, and I have complied. Ouch. Hope they don't take too much longer. 
Developer

Cool thanks for the update.  Are they going to credit you for the the submission that you had to pull?

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer

Actually, Earl, I did not remove my apps completely from the portal, only from sale. I can reactivate them any time with a mouse click. The apps are still approved. I am only losing money in the sense of opportunity cost, since each day that passes is another day without software sales. But I can't expect a reimbursement on that kind of cost. On the other hand if RIM later asks me to resubmit my apps, I would hope that does not come out of my $200. We shall see. For now, I have only removed from sale the one where App World would deliver the trial version when the user makes a purchase. Unfortunately, that is my top selling app.
Developer

I ended up putting all my apps back on sale, because otherwise the apps would disappear from my customers' "My World" screen, leaving those with only trial versions stuck. I've been spending weeks responding to tech support requests by sending the production versions to my customers directly. 

Here's an update. From an email dated June 16th, RIM told me that they think there is an issue with the way their server is handling Try&Buy with static licenses. This affects all apps under this category. They have a fix in testing, which they think will be live in "the coming days/weeks". Here's hoping it's more like "days" rather than "weeks". It's been long enough. 

Developer

Hopefully, this will be my final update. The basic problem that affects try&buy products with the static license is that App World can deliver the wrong bundle. A customer may download the trial and be offered an "upgrade" to the production version for free. Conversely, a customer may purchase the production version and receive the free trial version. After months of exchanging emails with RIM support, Ryan has informed me that a fix for this problem will be released with the "next launch", "before the end of the month". If you have been following the news, this means App World 1.1 with the European rollout on the 31st. The new vendor portal was released last week, and I think the problem has been fixed with the vendor portal release, if the download patterns are any indication. Also, European purchases are beginning to appear in advance of the European rollout: maybe they are test purchases. I saw a purchase from Vodafone/Spain today. 

Developer

Thanks for the update.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer

How about your software, Earl? Can you confirm that the problem is fixed for you too?
Developer

Re: Try and buy - still broken

I developed the Brio Screen Recorder and purchased a copy of the app when it was at version 1.3.

I later released 1.4 (a trial version) and 1.4.1 (a non-trial version) of the application, which fixed a couple small bugs.

I recently re-downloaded the previously purchased application through App World.  App World clearly indicates that the current version is 1.4.1, but every time I downloaded the app I get version 1.3.  After downloading 1.3, I am notified that a free upgrade to version 1.4.1 is available, but there is way to download the upgrade.  My only option is to Run version 1.3 or Download Trial (version 1.4).

If I install the trial version (1.4) the App World reports that version 1.4 is installed.  it also still reports that a free upgrade to version 1.4.1 is available, but the only options are (again) to Run or Download Trial.

Earl
Earl Oliver
Developer

Re: Try and buy - still broken

I'm seeing the same problem too with one of my apps, TimeForTea, recently. Customers report that when they try to buy the paid version, they end up downloading the trial version. I have had to provide a separate download for them. Unfortunately, I have had no luck getting a response from RIM since the new support setup was in place. The new email address seems unresponsive.