Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Try and buy

The vendor support page does list  appworldvendorsupport@blackberry.com as the email address to use. A month ago, I emailed that address complaining that customers who purchased one of my apps got the trial version instead of the paid version. All I got was an automated message assigning a ticket number. Last night, I replied again to ask about progress. To their credit, RIM sent back a response the following day (today). Unfortunately, the response was:

The Service Request referenced in your email has a status of closed, therefore a new Service Request ticket has been opened.

Aargh.

Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Thanks.  Glad to know something is happening.  I must have missed the email about appworldvendorsupport@blackberry.com.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer

A few weeks ago my situation was so critical that I called RIM and actually got someone on the phone.  After a few days I called again, it was a Friday and I was told that all the App World staff were on holiday until after Tuesday and RIM had "no way" to contact them until then, all they could do was elevate the priority of the email support request.  I elaborated on the problem thoroughly both on the phone and in the emails, and finally I got a brief email back saying the trial version had been switched to Denied -- but nothing more, no explanation of the problem or how to avoid it, or what they're doing about it.

A few days later, the Trial version suddenly switched from Denied back to Approved, even though I'd tried to delete it after it was Denied and it had seemed deleted.  So I had to go through the whole thing over again, the emails and having to call on the phone, and after about a week the Trial version was again switched to Denied, but can't be deleted.

And the next time I logged in to the Vendor Portal, there was a popup waiting for me forcing me to read and sign the vendor agreement all over again, probably to scare me into not bothering them anymore -- it says they can terminate your account or pull your apps without cause.  That's the 2nd time that's happened right after I wrote in complaining about something, so it appears to be a pretty clear warning/threat by App World, "don't bother us or you'll be out of business."  I didn't curse them out or anything, and had pointed out at the time that I was contacting them on behalf of the customers and for the sake of our business as much as for myself.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Hello All,

Thank you for your posts regarding the issues you've been experiencing with the Try & Buy License Type.

In troubleshooting some of the main problems described to myself or in this thread, we have been able to identify some of the root causes with regards to why Try & Buy is not functioning as one would expect.  We expect to have these resolved in a coming version of App World.  Unfortunately I do not have an ETA for a new version, but I do know the problems we have all identified and worked on should be resolved, making the Try & Buy License Type a viable option.

Please be aware that being re-prompted for the Vendor Agreement is completely seperate from the issues you have been reporting to appworldvendorsupport@blackberry.com, and we certainly do not discourage Vendor's contacting us when a problem arises.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to post them here on the forums, as we do monitor them on a regular basis.  As well, I encourage you to continue using the Vendor Support page as we try to keep the content updated as much as possible. As mentioned previously in this thread, appworldvendorsupport@blackberry.com can be used to contact us directly.  We will field your email as quickly as possible.

Thanks again all,

Developer

Thanks Ryan

Earl

Earl Oliver
Developer

Yes, thank you.

Developer

Re: Try and buy - still broken

Just reproduced the incorrect behaviour on another set of devices. 

The app was legitimately purchased on a Curve 8900.  The user then switched to 9700, logged in using the same credentials, and saw that application was available for download.  Except, the user was not able to download the full version (1.4.1) of the application!  He was only able to download the trial version (1.4).

After installing the trial, there was no way to upgrade to version 1.4.1.  The only options in App World are to reinstall the trial version or run the trial.

Earl

Earl Oliver
New Developer

Is this issue with Try and Buy fixed? Would you please keep us posted?

Thanks

Developer

It's still broken. I received a customer complaint over the weekend. Historically, it took a few months for App World 1.0 to be upgraded to version 1.1. We had Try&Buy bugs in 1.0 that had to wait several months until 1.1. to be fixed. We are still at version 1.1, so don't expect this bug to be fixed until the next release, and that can take a while. Hopefully not, but that depends on RIM's schedule.

Developer

Re: Try and buy - STILL BROKEN!!!!

[ Edited ]

This is STILL BROKEN and getting really frustrating.  Has anyone heard anything from RIM.  It is absolutely disgusting that this issue is still not fixed!

What I am supposed to tell my paying customers that unknowingly upgrade to a trial version and cannot continue to ugprade to the full version?

I have version 1.5 installed, which is the trial version.  Version 1.5.1 is the full, non-trial version.  Is is free because I already purchased the full version (1.3).  Why can I not upgrade to the full version?

Earl

Here's a screnshot that illustrates the problem:

error.png

Earl Oliver