Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: -

Understanding the shopping flow

Hi all,

Please point me to some docs/forum posts if all/some of my questions are explained elsewhere, I haven't managed to find an answer so far. I am a complete newbie in terms of BlackBerry App development, and we are now trying to port our Adobe AIR application to BlackBerry. I've read about different licensing models models and I have a problem understanding the overall flow in terms of keys:

1. User buys an application

2. A key is assigned (statically or dynamically) to this copy of application

3. Application gets downloaded and installed

4. What next? Does user need to check his email, get the key, and enter to the application? Or application knows the key already (how then?) How does the application verify that user has the correct key?

I've tried asking in Tables OS forum, but was sent here for more information.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Understanding the shopping flow

[ Edited ]

Best to retrieve the key yourself:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Interface-with-the-BlackBerr...

You're probably just wasting your time, just forget about using keys until you have a major bestseller that's $5 or more, and even then it might still be more waste of time than increased sales.

You will get a lot of key-related support requests no matter what you do, and that time adds up.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@mlamagra, it wasn't totally obvious, but the "Table OS" link and the "Adobe AIR" hint reveal that he's working on the PlayBook.

The link you gave is for the BBOS Java API and, unfortunately, no such API has been published yet for the PlayBook.  We're about to launch, yet have no idea how we'll be able to take advantage of the dynamic license model...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

OK, I'm an April Fool a few days ahead-of-time.  Just warming up for Friday.

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: -

Thanks a lot for the replies - so no reasonable API has been launched so far, and I think we're better stick with simpler models for now.