Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer Called nextGen

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

My Vendor name is DrunkEddyLabs

I am facing an unhealthy competition from other developer called nextGen (vendor ID:9573).

Let me explain what is the problem here.

I have an application titled- Motion Avatars for BBM™ (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/27314115/)
I released this app on 22nd April 2013

nextGen has an application titled- Animated Avatars for BBM™ (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/23998003)
he released that app before 22nd April 2013.

Problem 1;

He (nextGen) emailed me on 5th May 2013, asked me to remove my app from BlackBerry World, and he told me that he was in the process of filing a lawsuit, for what he called "Copying his app". I have no idea what I "infringed". Copyright? Trademark? Patent? Well, he simply said that I copied his app.

Fact 1:

I did not copy his application at all, the fact that my app and his app share the same functionality does not mean that I copied his app. My application differs in terms of overall design, and has a totally different name with his app.

My app and his app both has the functionality to set Animated GIF as BBM Avatars, those avatars was searched and retrieved from the internet (websites that provides GIF avatars)

Problem 2:

This is where it get nasty, and what really caused me to post here in this forum.
My application rarely receives negative reviews, but ever since his email on 5th May, my app now constantly receives negative reviews, which are intended to hurt my app sales.

At this point, you guys might think that those reviews might not be from him, but worry not, I have a few of these reviews screenshots from both my application and his application BlackBerry World page.

Those people who posted really bad reviews (by bad, I mean DEFAMATION) on my app, coincidentally posted unbelievably POSITIVE reviews on his app.

Those bad reviews really don't make any sense at all, but highly probably drives potential customers away. (See the screenshots). My sales declines 70% because of those reviews

First Screenshot is Motion Avatars (My app) Reviews, the second and third screenshot are Animated Avatars reviews (nextgen's app). I have highlighted the usernames in colors so it's easier for you guys to see.

Please notice the usernames

Question:

1. Is releasing an app with similar functionality is prohibited in BlackBerry World? Is BlackBerry World a monopoly market? 

Riddle me this: If one developer released a Translator application, are other developers not allowed to released another Translator application??? What aboutTwitter clients, Dictionaries, Flight Tracking apps, Wallpaper apps?

2. I hope that BlackBerry World officials could do something about this.

My App Review Page

His App Review Pages

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer Called nextGen

Interesting.
You're allowed to release similar apps unless you're infringing on a trademark or patent.
It seems to me that you're both trying to solve the same problem and there are lots of apps which share similarities in BB World. Ultimately which app "wins" comes down to pricing and user experience.

I'de be interested to know what BB World offers in terms of investigation. When do to they start looking into fraud cases, which seems to be the case here with the fake reviews.
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Yeah, one word, interesting. Seeing the screenshots made me angry, this guy should be banned
jayvdiyk.com
Developer

I mean this nextgen guy. Lol
jayvdiyk.com
Developer
My Carrier: AIS Thailand

I agree with jayvd. Especially the reviews you've pointed out, that crosses the line; way too far.
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Developer

[ Edited ]

Wow, seriously, do something BlackBerry!! The reviews are unbelievable.

Drain Q10 battery in 50 minutes? Why on earth would a user even open an app like that for 10 minutes?

Purchased 1 dollar and 10 dollars deducted from account? How does that even happen?
I agree with TS, customers would not buy this if they see that nasty review..

Developer like this guy *cough* nextgen *cough*, should be taught a lesson.

If you dont wanna compete, please go to Web OS Store!!

www.jackdevora.com
Developer

The reviews are too fake to not recognize... I agree, they can't be doing this sort of stuff.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Developer

Update: It appears RIM have already noticed and it is currently being looked at.
Developer

@HSingh2012 really? That fast? Who told you?
www.jackdevora.com
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Like to know what the resolution is on this. If you do not like a little competition, get out of the kitchen.