Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

WEb Icon In App world

background - I'm a .Net Developer. Never written Java or seen Java enviornment's until yesterday. I have written an app for the iPhone and it calls and uses .Net webservices to get data off our server.

I am wanting to extend and be able to support BlackBerry users as well, but here is where my question lies..Is it a common practice to create web icons in the blackberry app world and sell them? and is there a way to send uhh phone information to the webpage to detect if a user is an authorized or paid user? Is this common? I have read and watched the video's on creating a webicon and it seems fairly easy however I don't know if it's common practice to sell the web icon and be able to authenticate users through this manner? Or should I just buckle down and learn java?

Developer

Re: WEb Icon In App world

Might be better to bill through the website than going through that. I havent looked over the terms for distributing app links on app world, but just the basic math would say to use the websites billing system. If you distribute a weblink on app world the downloads are going to be better because the "barrier to entry" of paying 2.99 up front isnt there when you distribute it for free. In addition, if you handle the billing you would not have to pay blackberry a percentage of each membership/subscription.

App world might bar this so look over the knowledge base. I would also suggest having unpaid, as well as paid content to entice non-paying downloaders of the weblink to subscribe.

Mobile Enhancement Studios
New Developer

Thanks so much for your reply. I looked through the vendor guidelines and looked around and don't see anything saying I can't do this.
Highlighted
New Developer

I cam across your post today, looks like we are both in the same boat. I am a C#, PHP developer and Java is foreing. To answer your question the WebIcon approach is accepted, we are in the process of completing our application and plan on using the approach. It is a cleaner method over a localized Java Application especially when it comes to upgrades.

My biggest challenge is on securing the application on the Smartphone -i.e. getting the phone credentials and passing them along to the webserver for behind the scene authentication. Any thoughts on thsi topic?