Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: $1.00

WILL BLACKBERRY MAKE AN APP FOR ME? ITS NOT OUT AT ALL

i have a great idea and concept for an APP but I do not know how to develop it ive asked some computer programers but will blackberry do it for me? if i cut them in on the cost

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Re: WILL BLACKBERRY MAKE AN APP FOR ME? ITS NOT OUT AT ALL

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Sit down and learn to develop, or get funding and hire people.  That's how to start a business.  You can't just go "I've got this idea, you develop it for me and I'll split it with ya."

To expect the platform manufacturer to do it for you is as ridiculous as saying "I've got an idea for a new kind of store on this street, will the city build and run the store and cut me in on the profits?  And in case it fails, it's their loss."

Answer:  No.  If you want to go into business, you have to do it yourself, or get funding and hire people.

These days, even if you have funding it will be hard to find competent developers to work for you; why should we?  Ideas are aplenty, we can develop our own ideas and not have to split the profits.

Good luck to you, but seriously, please get real.

New Contributor

so youd take weeks to just even think of an App that is not put out in the app world that could take longer than weeks instead of taking a simple idea and breaking a cost down? ..to each his own but ive got a developer and plenty funding seeing as how its an App not a business im trying to come up with here unless theres a whole side to this app making where i need to start my own business like you say? you obviously read my question wrong if youd need m oney to develop it then theres plenty there i just said will blackberry do it for me cause obviously ig there developers were so smart theyd have this App out and working already wouldnt they...

New Contributor

its just the title to get developers to see it and comment it like you have but i dont expect a blackberry developer to make it for me

Developer

Any developer already has a list of good ideas that grows faster than he can finish them.

We're also used to hearing half the people we know or meet tell us their great idea for an app and offer to split it with us if we put up all the investment (time and work) while all they have to do is give the orders and take their cut.

If you're willing to contract someone, then I think most competent and available developers would ask $50-100/hr and take a few days to a few weeks for most relatively simple concepts.  But the idea that RIM would develop your idea in return for a cut of the profits is just not realistic, they support 3rd-party developers and also develop their own ideas, but they are not a speculative contract development house as far as I know.

New Contributor

would you suggest the website   Iphone app quotes .com ? to find a developer

Developer

There are no doubt some developers on these forums who do contract work professionally, i.e. are experienced in the process, the agreements, and whose business is oriented toward contract work including ongoing development, support, etc.

Then there are many developers who are entirely consumer-oriented and prefer to do their own projects.

Maybe if there were some information about the nature of the app someone would contact you, but actually if this thread were moved to the Java Development forum (or  web apps) that would probably have a better chance.  This section is really for issues related to the store, and developing apps that interface with the store.

Most BlackBerry apps are Java apps, so I suggest asking in that section for a contract developer.

New Developer
My Carrier: sprint

I'll second the "friends with ideas" comment. I've already got a list of my own ideas. On top of that I get the occassional "great" idea from someone else. a lot of times it's there own personal want. a lot of times people think if they want it that means everyone else wants it, which isn't always the case.

my advice, paperchaser, would be to give some idea of what you want (as already stated). I know you are probably worried about giving it away but if a vague idea about it is enough to give it away then it probably is out there somewhere.

Developer

Also, if you sit down and learn to do it yourself, you'll find that it's easier than what most students are asked to do in their homework -- and you know you're likely to make money off your work, whereas many students are paying to work.  I think it's easier to learn what you need and write your 1st app than to get through a semester at college.

It's just tedious, no-one wants to sit alone at a computer figuring out coding, but it's no worse than kids having to do dry math homework and write argumentative essays when they don't even really know anything about the subject.

Developer
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

What the heck, I'd be willing to sign an NDA and hear about your idea, and give you a quote. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a PM button on here, and I don't post my email in public forums, so go to my website (http://handprintapp.com/contact), and use the contact form. Mention this thread, so I know what you are talking about.

Oh, and promise never to speak to me in UPPERCASE again!

~S