Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Warning about support email in product description

[ Edited ]

Having got a review saying I could not be contacted on my first BB10 app review I wondered if it was something to do with a delay in the 'contact developer'  menu item appearing.

Further testing seems to indicate that if you have your support email address filled in in both the vendor details and the product details this breaks the BlackBerry World App with the 'contact developer' not shown after download.

I am limited to how much I can confirm this as I only have a paid app listed.

Is anyone else able to confirm if this is true or not, I'm happy to be the downloader and tester if you need one?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Passport / Nokia N950
My Carrier: -

Re: Warning about support email in product description

I can't confirm. I'm also not sure what happens here.

I haven't entered a Support Email at the Product Info. This field is always empty at my account. I just entered there my twitter account name. But this is nowhere visible.

Instead I filled in the Primary Email and the Support Email in "Manage Account Details" and it seems to work.

Note: It may take some hours until changes to your account are visible at the BB World storefront.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Each of my apps uses a unique email address in the support field. I also have the main vendor support address set.

All my apps have the "Contact Developer" menu item (in the overflow menu), so that's proof the proposed theory is, at least, not the universal answer.

You can do a search in BBWorld for "peter9477" to find my apps if you want to check this out...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

[ Edited ]

Ah, I guess I have the answer. You need to download or buy a App before the "Contact Developer" Button gets visible. At least I see it in the overflow menu at the App of the original poster. But the blue link at the bottom of the description is still not visible.

I see no idication to be able to contact you at your Apps peter since I haven't bought one.

I find it also strange that the full description disappears as soon as you have downloaded a App. Or is this only at my DevAlpha?

Developer

The full description and screenshots do currently disappear like that. It's known, and logged as https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-836

helex, Looks like you're right about the Contact item appearing only after an install. Makes sense really... it provides a way to distinguish between people who've actually bought the app (i.e. "customers") and those who are merely inquiring about it ("prospects"). If you want prospects to be able to email you, you could provide mechanisms on your web site, for which the link is always available in the BBWorld listing.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

helex.

We've obviously not communicated very well on this.

Are you now saying you can see a 'contact developer' in the menu for stokLocker?

Peter, I tried one of your apps worked no problem, sent a test mail just to make sure.

Ok back to square one. 

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

BBSJdev, no I can't actually see the Contact Developer item for your app, but I think helex is correct that one has to download an app for that to show up. I haven't installed yours.

Presumably you didn't see mine until you installed the app either. (?)

Developer

[ Edited ]

BBSJdev wrote:

helex.

We've obviously not communicated very well on this.

Are you now saying you can see a 'contact developer' in the menu for stokLocker?

Peter, I tried one of your apps worked no problem, sent a test mail just to make sure.

Ok back to square one. 

I haven't checked the menu for the contact button. I'm sorry. It's there, yes. I doublechecked with the account of my girlfriend, the button doesn't appear at her account since she haven't bought your App.

But wasn't there a link before in the text below the app description?

"More from [vendor]"

"Contact [vendor]"

"[vendor website]"

Something like this. Wasn't it there? I'm currently only able to see the "More from [vendor]" and the vendor website. No link between anymore.

Has this changed?

Developer

I had an untrustworthy memory of there being a "Contact [vendor]" link in there as well, but it's definitely not there now. It might have been in an earlier version, now removed.

For now we have only the overflow menu entry, and that's present only when the app is in your My World "shelf" in the cloud (i.e. installed now, or previously installed).

Developer

at least the 1 star reviewer seemed to be also confused and looked at the wrong place to contact the developer - or one of your changes have worked in the meantime Smiley Frustrated