Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Rogers and TELUS

What does "Override JAD file product and vendor names" mean?

@BBThemeLab asked on Twitter - " i always wanted to know what this meant in . *Override JAD file product and vendor names*".

Scott B, one of our #AppWorld devs wrote a wiki article on it....

# # #

Here is an example outlining how the Name/Vendor Override's change the installation for 'Micheal's Try and Buy App' by 'Research In Motion Limited'

Following is the Content View in App World 2.1 for 'Micheal's Try and Buy App' by 'Research In Motion Limited'

This is a view of the App World 2.1 ISVPortal providing the Overrides for MIDlet-Name and MIDlet-Vendor, by using the override checkbox.
MIDlet-Name is set to: Scott's Try and Buy App
MIDlet-Vendor is set to: Not Michael Corp.

This is the view of the BlackBerry 6.0 Options > Device > Application Management list which shows 'Scott's Try and Buy App' by Vendor, 'Not Micheal Corp.' as supplied for the installation by the MIDlet override properties.

This is the view of the BlackBerry 6.0 Options > Device > Application Management entry for 'Michael's Try And Buy App' which has been installed using the Override Properties hence the installed Name appears as 'Scott's Try and Buy App' by Vendor, 'Not Micheal Corp.'

This is a view of the BlackBerry 6.0 Homescreen displaying the Icon *for '*CallPop'. 'Michael's Try And Buy App' appears as 'CallPop' because the display name for Application's Entry point is set to 'CallPop' by the Developer. The homescreen display name is NOT determined by the install properties.

Alex Kinsella @alexkinsella
Senior PR and Social Media Manager
Research In Motion
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: What does "Override JAD file product and vendor names" mean?

Can somebody perhaps confirm that I'm understanding this correctly, and how it works for AIR PlayBook apps.

I would like to change the name of my app to include a descriptive key word when it appears on AppWorld, so that it's easier to find (my clock app currently doesn't show up when the user types clock in the search ...), but I don't want those extra words to show up in the app name on the user's device when they've installed the app (because it would look ugly, being too long to display).

So, if I change the app name in the vender portal to include the keyword, and check the box "Override JAD file product and vendor names" - would AppWorld then use that name, while the installed app still uses what I supplied in my app.xml file?

Thanks for any clarification

Anna

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You can rename the app in the vendor portal which does not have to match the app name that is installed (defined in the app,xml file). No need to check a box, just rename the product name and save it for review.
New Developer

Excellent, thank you !

Developer

oops - got signed in with my old account again as I visited jira inbetween ...

Anyway - thanks, John!