Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Where are the implementation samples?

I am still working on my first app but I am surprised at how hard RIM makes you work to become a developer. I am now looking at implementing a license model for App World. I have found about three official paragraphs on the topic followed by thousands of posts by confused developers.

Are there not reference implementations in here somewhere? I would like to review sample code of each of the three models (okay, maybe not for static). Then I can make an intelligent decision on what I can and cannot live with.

I would like to see an example using pooled licensing of how people have implemented a license that is reasonably protected from piracy. I would also like to see examples of how they achieved a free trial period without leaving a hole in the app a pirate can just stuff a future date into.

I would also like to see an end to end example of dynamic licensing including the servlet that sits on my licensing server. (I would rather not have a licensing server. I don't know why RIM does not provide this as part of App World. That would make perfect sense.).

RIM should provide this stuff as reference material so that we can just customize it to our specific needs. Why do we have to reinvent the wheel every time? It would be nice to inherit a template of a wheel to reinvent from. Or at least have some instructions.

Anybody know if this stuff exists?

Just my 2¢...

Thanks

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Where are the implementation samples?

Hi Pete,

You might find this reference implementation for dynamic licencing useful, although only the client side. 

http://www.licmax.com/developers.html#ris

If you have a look at their other documentation, particularly the Acquire License Key, you get a good idea of how the protocol on the server would behave,

http://www.licmax.com/developers.html#isvAcq_license

Also the client code for the hashed license key shows pretty much what happens on the server too, for generating the key.

Hope that helps!  Sincerely,

Posri