Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

docs for (+free trial) on app?

I know I've seen many apps that feature the "+free trial" marker on them, but I'm unsure about how to implement such a feature. It COULD be done using a Virtual Good and the new Payment API, but I believe that this was available before the payment API became available. Was there another method to implement it?  OR, is this simply an AppWorld flag?

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Re: docs for (+free trial) on app?

Hi billfoust,

These are application configured in App World with as Try & Buy.  There is information of the different License Types in the BlackBerry App World Storefront Administration Guide found here: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/25818/BlackBerry_App_World_storefront-Administ...

Specifically, page 17 for the License Types.

Developer

Thanks for the link Ryan.  I guess I had the wrong name, but that is what I was talking about. 

You must implement any control mechanisms that a Try & Buy product requires (for example, a time limit for the amount of time that the user can use the product for) and activate the product for users when they purchase the full version

So how does one know that an application has been purchased instead of simply downloaded on trial?

Bill
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

That all depends on the License Model you use (Static, Single, Pool, Dynamic).

If using Static, you'll be uploading two different sets of COD files (trial & paid).  If a user downloads the Trial they get the trial COD files.  If a user pays for your application, they get the Paid COD files.

If using Single,Pool,Dynamic, you upload one set of COD files.  If a user downloads the trial, they get the COD files but no License Key.  If a user pays for your application, they get the COD files + a License Key.

Your application should be designed to run in a Trial Mode without a License Key (this plugs into the paragraph you quoted above) and if the user inputs a License Key the application unlocks and any restrictions are removed.

Developer

Thanks again. Just to confirm, your other option is to offer just one version of the app, a trial version, which uses the payment API to purchase a Virtual Good and which unlocks the application. the upside here is that you get in-app purchasing and the user doesn't have to reload the application to purchase it. the downside is that you have to be able to check and see if the purchase has been completed before (ie when the user upgrades their device). 

Is there another technique that I might be missing?

Bill