08-23-2012 04:06 PM
I recently added keywords to my apps on the vendor portal, when I saved the changes, the spanish descriptions of my apps got funny characters for the acent and ñ characters, does anyone else have seen this, hope someone for RIM can look at this.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-23-2012 04:53 PM
I just pushed through an open Change Request for a Spanish Description update. Can y ou verify if these bad characters still appear in the updated Description?
If so, can you let me know which app(s)is affected?
08-23-2012 05:21 PM
Hi Ryan, thanks for your support,
The description is fine now, but I just tried to update another app "Marble Craft", and the weird characters still keep replacing the vocals with acents.
I also have another app called "Mineweeper and Break the Code" with the problem as well.
I would like to update other apps too, but I wonder if I should wait until this problem is fixed or change them anyway..
08-23-2012 08:21 PM
08-23-2012 11:06 PM
I just checked on App World both in the PlayBook and on the web, and it does show the wrong characters. I guess it's something wrong with the portal because it gets propagated.. Anyway, I'm confident that RIM folks will take care of this
08-24-2012 08:41 AM
The bad characters issue is fixed as I mention earlier, however if your current description contanis these bad characters you'll unfortuantely need to submit a new Description for approval.
If you have already submitted a new Description change in the last day or two - the bad characters will not appear once the Change Request is approved.
Just to recap: When you change your Description and click 'Save', it generates a Ticket for approval by the Storefront Team. This new Description will not appear in the Vendor Portal until it is approved. This is why it appears like you fix the Description and it doesn't instantly appear fixed. Check the 'Tickets' tab to verify that an open Ticket exists - once this Ticket is approved the new Description will then appear in the Vendor Portal.
If after doing the above you still have bad characters, please let me know.
08-24-2012 10:00 AM
08-24-2012 10:41 AM - edited 08-24-2012 10:41 AM
Looks like the first Description change put through was on the 21st. The issues was resolved on the backend overnight on the 21/22.
I just put through the newest ticket you had for today - and the bullets look as you'd expect them too (no bad characters).
08-24-2012 11:20 AM