Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

if I were to withdraw my apps from the app world..

...would that cause the apps that users have downloaded to be erased?  

If so, is there someone that I can talk to to refund those users?   

This is something that I'm seriously considering, because the app world software is -so poor- that it is starting to become embarassing having my apps available within it.  

Alternatively, can apps be sold via other methods?   I think that is the case with all the other platforms.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: if I were to withdraw my apps from the app world..

just remove your apps from sale in your vendor account.   The apps will not be erased on the users device.  they need to reinstall if they upgrade their OS.

If you want to refund all your customers then just send me a gift card

Developer

ok, so, removing them from sale will not prevent the users who are paid from using them or re-loading them in the future? I'm ok with that.

If I'm going to continue to support users on this platform, I'm seriously considering that I might want to do it without the "help" of the App World.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

if you do playbook apps then be with appworld or be gone.  you can't sell your pb apps anywhere else.

Developer

So, you can't sell apps on your own, as you can with all the other platforms?

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

you can sell BlackBerry apps however you want, stand on a street corner if you want to.  it's not like Apple where you need to ask the kindergarten teacher for a hall pass to get a drink of water.

if you unpublish your apps, people who bought them can re-download, but anyone who downloaded free will not be able to reinstall and will be contacting you bemoaning their loss.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

This is valid only for smartphone apps though. There are  alternative stores like Mobihand for example.

For PlayBook apps unfortunately  the only way is selling via AppWorld, just because installing PlayBook apps (outside of AppWorld) requires quite a good technical knowledge (I mean side-loading), which most users don't have.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

[ Edited ]

Cute. So the only thing stopping that is the fact that installing an app as a developer is so ridiculously complex it is possibly a big reason why there's so few developers?

Seems someone would've found an easier way after a year.

BTW, Quite Simple, do you have a PlayBook ver of your app in the works?  

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

eblade wrote:

BTW, Quite Simple, do you have a PlayBook ver of your app in the works?  

I guess you mean VendorTool and the answers is No. Not that good in AIR Development so far, maybe at some point in the future. But I just discovered this nice free app, which helps viewing puchase/downloads report on PlayBook:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/102933

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

yeah thats the one. unfortunately, doesn't look like the file downloader/opener built into the playbook can deal with the zip files.