Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

qnx handheld device screenshot dimensions?

I have an app in app world for the PlayBook. I am now adding the assets for the BB10 smartphone version of that same app.  In the Vendor Portal under Graphics under QNX Handheld Device screenshots it says:

Screenshots must meet the one of the following criteria

• 16:9
    • Screenshots must be sized at either 1280x768 (landscape) or 768x1280 (Portrait) pixels
    • Screenshots must have an aspect ratio of 16:9 with a minimum size of 1280x720 (landscape) or 720x1280 (portrait) pixels
    • Maximum size of 2560x1440 or 1440x2560
  • 1:1
    • Screenshots must have an aspect ratio of 1:1 with a minimum size of 720x720 pixels
    • Maximum size of 1440x1440 pixels
    • Screenshots must be in GIF, JPG, or PNG format.

I want to add the 16:9 --> so can I make it 1280x768 (per bullet 1) or must it be 16:9 (per bullet 2) which implies 1280x720?  

...Jim

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: qnx handheld device screenshot dimensions?

Sometimes when you see minor contradictions like that in RIM's docs, it's best to just assume they didn't intend to arbitrarily restrict things in irrational ways and just try what you think makes the most sense. :-)

I saw the same thing and just said "uh, nope, i'm going to use my 1280x768 screenshots for now". They approved my images...

(Also, in January a bit before launch they'll have a bunch of BlackBerry World changes related to this stuff (app metadata) so it might all change again... I treat the current instructions as provisional.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: qnx handheld device screenshot dimensions?

Thanks Peter. Actually I may have a better understanding of this now (coincidentally while researching another issue I'm having I came across a different post of yours).  According to the following article:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/11/blackberry-app-world-success/

the screenshot images are specific to the device -- ie for the all touch devices that are 1280x768 those images will be used ... and for devices that are 1280x720 then those images will be used.